• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arm Bolt

bryanthieme

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to modifying my XJ, so bare with me, its a 97 sport.

I am installing an OME system (springs, leafs, shocks), and I have run into a problem! I need to put the bolt back in the lower control arm, the bolt closest to the axle, I was going to put new bushing in the controls arms but couldn't get the rear bolt out so I gave up. When I tried to put the control arm back together the bolt nearest to the axle doesn't line up. After several hours of trying, pounding, swearing I have gotten no where.

So what is the trick to line up the lower control arm holes so I can get the bolt in. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Bryan

If you leave the tires on, you can get someone to rotate the wheel, assuming the tread is ok :D

Or put a large pipe wrench around the axle tube. Then put a floor jack under the handle of the pipe wrench. This will rotate the axle slightly so that the holes will line up.

xjohnnyc said:
Or put a large pipe wrench around the axle tube. Then put a floor jack under the handle of the pipe wrench. This will rotate the axle slightly so that the holes will line up.

Hmm Never thought of that! Good idea! I used a 6foot prybar with leverage on something! I can't remember what! Since i added drop bracket it all lines up like a dream!

KarlVP said:
Use a floor jack to articulate the front axle. Works every time.
Exactly! This is the quickest, easiest method to align both the LCA and UCA bolts. Best place I've found to jack the front axle is directly under where the track bar mounts to the axle.

My methodology: remove the nuts from the control arms you intend to adjust/replace. Slowly jack up axle until the bolt(s) can be removed by hand. Adjust control arms. Then either slightly raise or lower jack, depending on whether you lengthened or shortened* your control arms, until the bolt(s) slide in. Lower jack and install nuts. This has never failed to work.

*When you jack up the axle, the distance between the UCA mounts shortens and the distance between the LCA mounts lengthens.

Use a floor jack to articulate the front axle. Works every time.

F'n A! I have been curshing, banging, pulling for 2 hours trying to get the LCA bolt in. I used a floor jack and jacked the axle by the steering arm and it rotated the axle and the bolt slid in. seriously WTF?

Now i have to do the drivers side, but thats tomorrow, i'm too damn sore. :bawl:

Back