• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
What all is involved in setting up a compressor? it seems pretty easy to hook up, but i suck when it comes to stuff like this. thanks.

a viair compressor or something like that...not a york.

your going to read it a few times, so get used to it

search

now past that, its not a difficult job, depends if you want it hard mounted (permanent or near so) or if your looking for something you can plug in when needed, and hide till than.

find a place for it, run wires for it, air lines plumbed up and switches to turn it on or off. you have lots of options, gotta figure out what it is you got, than what you want to do with it ans such... hard to answer your question to specifically with more info.

You could just get a portable Viair compressor with leads that hook up to your battery.

Or did you want to hard-mount it with an air tank?

No, you don't need an air tank. Just find a good place to mount the compressor in the engine compartment (not much room) or in the back of the Jeep, run the power wires, and you're set.

Since we are talking about on board air, does anyone know if the air temp coming directly out of the compressor would be too much for an electronic pressure shut off switch. I'm looking at a viair diagram and they have a line going from the compressor to the tank then back to the shut off. They also have a line going from the tank back to the pressure gauge. Seems like a lot of back an forth. I tried searching for setups of on board air with electronic air compressors but couldn't find anything decent. Anyone want to steer me in the right direction?

It can be very simple. Don't bother with a tank, it's virtually useless for airing up tires, and carrying air tools on the trail is just extra unneeded weight. Run a hot lead to the compressor, mount the switch right next to the compressor (many compressors come with a swith already mounted), mount a T fitting to the compressor outlet, with the pressure switch on one side of the T and a quick connect coupler on the other side of the T.

Hook up your air line, flip the switch, and away you go. Mine is mounted in the back, and I keep the air line coiled up and hung next to the compressor so I don't need to go digging for the hose when I need it.

Myne is mounted inside the gaurd in the rear. On the opposite side to the rear tire inside car take off the plastic and you can mount the compressor inside the gaurd and put plastic back on.

I am in australia and our cars are RHD. So myne is on the passengers side which is your drivers side. The fuel filler pipe is on the same side as I mounted the compressor.

Back