• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior

mn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
:anon: To those who have done bed-liner to your interior 1.How did you deal with the rubber mat up by the front seat foot space? Below the mat there is foam and on my passenger side the foam is damp.
2.Their are 8 rubber plugs 2in font 2 at back pass. feet and 4 in back cargo area. Boat plugs in some....but all 8 !?!?
3.I assume you remove the shiny aluminum stuff when you "rough up" the surface for the liner. But its worth asking, its prob their for a reason.
4what did you use to run the wires and why?
TIA

I trimmed the rubber/foam mats up as far as I could, and lifted the remaining part up and herculined a few inches up behind them.
For the holes, you have to pound them out and the caps arn't really made to be replaced. Some have used boat plugs, but I just poped out the 4 in the cab and put floor mats over them. (I havn't lined the cargo area yet, so I don't know what's back there) I also did some ball-peen hammer work around the drains to make the water acually run out of the holes, which you may or may not want to do.

Wires: the only 3wires I found acually going across the floor were the seatbelt sensor, power to the shifter lights and the parking brake sensor.
I tapped power for the lights from up front and just stuffed all the wires under tha back seat. my seatbelt light never worked, and the ebrake handle lets you know if it's on or not, so I opted to ditch the wires.

as for shiny aluminum stuff, I don't recall any, so I can't help ya there.

when you paint the stuff on, wear gloves, and remember to take the gloves off if you go to take a leak ;)

Thanks for the advice. How long have you had your liner now? Still happy with it/do anything different in hindsight? thanks again ben

Hey, i just did the whole interior about 3months back and i removed that foam thing and i sure repent like hell for doing it. That place really insulates the heat, now whenever i take the jeep on a long drive, its very very hot where i keep my leg on the accelarator, and have been thinking of adding some insulation.

Ravi

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll find somthing to go over it and then herc the whole mess.
How high up the sides should I do?

mn_xj said:
Below the mat there is foam and on my passenger side the foam is damp.

ah-oh.... sounds like bad news... underneath the foam there is some bedliner that the factory put on, (some sort of thick sealant) and then they painted over it. my floorboard was all rusted out, turns out there was a leak underneat the windshield, the rain dripped down the firewall and underneath the foam padding and on the the pass floorboard. look for any loose buldges in the factory liner. If you see any, thats an idicator that there is rust underneat.

good luck

when you paint the stuff on, wear gloves, and remember to take the gloves off if you go to take a leak

That sounds like you speak from personal experience....thats gotta hurt...scrubbing it of your....errrr.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice. How long have you had your liner now? Still happy with it/do anything different in hindsight? thanks again ben

It's been in for about a year now. I used about 3/4 of a gallon, that's for 3 coats. (I did all but the cargo area) I'm still very pleased with it, I havn't chipped any off yet. it is a bit louder inside w/o the padding but it hasn't bothered me. what I'd do differently would be to remove the plastic trim around the edges of the floor, so I could get all the way to the side, and not speckle the trim. I removed the console and the seats, which is all you NEED to. It's great to hose out the inside, but you need to use a bristle brush or somthing to get it clean between the little rubber chunks. go for it! one of my favorite mods :)

That sounds like you speak from personal experience....thats gotta hurt...scrubbing it of your....errrr.....
haha no acually there was a hilarious JU thread on the topic, I'm sure someone will post a link.

I love my Herculinered floor and will second the advice about the gloves - good chemical resistant gloves with long gauntlets! The Herculiner is thinned and kept liquid with Xylene, which is also what they recommend for cleanup. It works really well, but there's a reason you won't find Xylene on the ingredient label of hand creams or skincare ointments!

Back