• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuse box woes(again)

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the deal.
I have been dealing with electrical gremlins with my 89 since I bought it.Recently both turn signal indicators stay lit up when you turn the headlights on.The turn signals work but they flash slower when the parking lamps are turned on....

I noticed that the parking lamp fuse gets HOT!!!WTF??

Aren't the turn signal lamps supposed to be illuminated when the parking lamps are turned on???Mine are not.

Side indicator lights work fine.....what would cause the fuse to get so hot that the plastic case is starting to melt?The fuse never blows???

:dunno:

Check your turn signal bulbs. The bulbs have two elements in them one for the parking lights and one for the turn signals. Sounds like your turn signal element melted to your parking light. Start with the very front turns that point straight ahead of your jeep. I think there orange. Pull the bulbs one at a time till your problem on the dash goes away.

OK I was thinking about your problem and I believe Im wrong if one of your bulbs was shorted only one turn signal light on your dash would be on. Since both left and right are different circuits. I’m thinking that you have a shorted ground and it is back feeding to your turn signals on your dash.

grounds in the front sockets.
Mine did the exact same thing.

clean the grounds in the sockets, or replace the sockets and the problem will go away.

Whats up Nathan?

Whats the easiest way to clean the sockets?Should I take the bulbs out and dip or spray them with that stuff that you spray on battery terminals that eats corrosion?I tried baking soda and water a while back with limited results(obviously)
There has to be one of those cool little "farmers" tricks out there to this.....
oh and,
Where do the grounds go to?Do I need to trace them down and clean them also?

Thanks for the advice,guy's.

Last edited:
Cleaned those grounds and the sockets,still no joy:cry:
I looked at napa's site and various other places and couldn't find replacement sockets....are they stealer only?

I took both bulbs out and turned the parking lamps on for a while and the fuse still got hot??My logic is if the bulbs aren't in place they are not pulling a load,why would the fuse still get hot?

:thumbup:

My 89 Limited had several front end problems with the lights.

The source was a connector that all the light circuits go through that's located in the area below the ballast resister. The wires come out of the large harness just behind the headlight. The fuse and the wiring were all hot.

The connector had partially melted. I cut it out and spliced each wire. You can see some of the red and blue splice connectors I used below.

These are pics of the connecter after removal and where it was. The corner that's melted most was my low beams. They would cut out on me at night. Not fun. All my front lights brightened up.

a240HCxOt2sh8Td5v2vJM7UHkIkohJDuC0Esv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

a240HCxOt2sh8Td5v2vJM7UHkCG6ZnOAHP1nv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Last edited:
Had a prob. w/my 90' after a deer attacked my front end @ 35mph. tried various things, no go. Finally just replaced all the bulbs (theyr'e cheap) cleaned all the connections really well, and the headlight/turn/park light harness, this gets lots of corrosion, actually had to replace this on my '91 due to the corrosion and last but not least I replaced the flasher, worked fine after that. Also check the grounds, a bad ground can raise havoc.

I will dig into the harness later today.Thanks again to all involved.:smootch:
While I got the electrical tool box out might aswell do the headlight rewire mod also.....

Last edited:
outlander said:
I will dig into the harness later today.Thanks again to all involved.:smootch:
While I got the electrical tool box out might aswell do the headlight rewire mod also.....
what part of the sockets did you clean.
When you pull the sockets out, pull the small greay weather seal off the front.

Then on the side, you'll see a piece of copper stock down in a hole. When you put the light bulb in the piece of coper down there levers against another piece of copper in that hole.

The fix for mine was a cut down emery file. I filed until everything was shiny new, and my turn signals have worked fine since.

Just got through taking my airbox out....I didn't locate the harness connector that was mentioned above:dunno:(yes I looked hard)
damn these electrical gremlins!!!

Try checking the other side. Seems to me mine was on the Pass. Side on my 90' and drivers side on my 91'. I'd check the 90' for you but seeing as I don't drive it any more it has become a "shelf" for anything in my yard

Back