• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" Gear Setup/Install

Are you setting up the gears or just putting in the detroit?

If you dont feel comfortable seting up the gears. Just give us a call were only about 1/2 hour from dumascus. Appalachian offroad inc. 4108482942.

Just did mine the other weekend. Strange case/yukon 5.13/ yukon 35spline spool.

Tools to consider if you go this route.
micrometer
dial indicator
inch/lbs scale
press
bearing puller
torque wrench
extra crush sleeves/pinion nut
locktite
vise
race driver
seal driver
gear marking compound

Appalachianxj said:
Are you setting up the gears or just putting in the detroit?

I'll be using the stock 4.09 gears and 3rd member, a new master install kit, and a detroit. I'm under the assumption I need to setup the gears again after installing the detroit. Although since I am installing the same gears, I can use the original backlash (as long as it is within spec). Is this correct?

Appalachianxj said:
If you dont feel comfortable seting up the gears. Just give us a call were only about 1/2 hour from dumascus. Appalachian offroad inc. 4108482942.

Thanks for the offer, but setting up gears is something I've always wanted to learn how to do. So I think I'm gonna give it a try. I was just looking for any advise before I get started.

Appalachianxj said:
Tools to consider if you go this route.
micrometer
dial indicator
inch/lbs scale
press
bearing puller
torque wrench
extra crush sleeves/pinion nut
locktite
vise
race driver
seal driver
gear marking compound

I've got all of these tools. Do you recommend having 2 new pinion nuts and crush sleeves so that one can be used for setup and one for final installation?

I've found a few comprehensive writeups on gear setup, but none for the 9". Are there any big problems or trouble spots when setting up 9" gears.

Thanks, Neal

9" are the easiest, in my opinion, to set up...Just go slow, and follow the directions...You should only need one new crush sleeve and one new pinion nut....Use the old stuff for the gear setup part, and then once you're ready throw the new stuff in....There's no real trick, just set the backlash to spec, and check the pattern to find the correct pinion depth...Just go slow, and make sure everything is tight, backlash in specs, and the pattern is good...I'm sure the internet has tons of write-ups on the 9"....Just remember to have fun!

Back