• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter problem help needed

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully some one here can help me a little bit. For the last week every time i start the jeep, it sounds like less and less juice is getting to the starter. it cranks slower and slower, then finally the other day it didnt start. this happened to me once before, and i wiggled some wires, and everything was back to normal. but not this time. not starting. the battery is brand new. I am thinking the starter might be shot or the wiring is bad. went in to clean off terminals on the battery. neg is fine. little corrosion on the positive. found that to get access to the starter connections, its easier with the oil filter out. took that off, and took off the connections on the starter. they seem clean. i think that now that there is no oil in the jeep. I'll just take the starter off and haver it tested at autozone. only 2 bolts right? i got my ratchet on but it wasnt big enough to turn. and i dont have a full set of sockets for my breaker bar. so hard are these bolts comming off. is it gonna be ok if i get a couple sockets for the breaker bar. i dont have access to air tools.

any one else have similar problems with thier starter? mine is the mitsubishi model.

thanks

Try rapping on the starter with the end of a wrench or similar item. My 1977 Chevy step side needed this every so often. Not sure why this works, but it does the trick.

Also, even though your battery is new, from what you have described, your battery may not be receiving a charge. Try swapping out the battery or seeing if you can jump starts it. If it starts, then you know your alternator is B/O. Usually the starter does not go out like the way you described.

Good luck!

the bolts are usually not that tight. Chances are the brushes are dirty. If you have someone try to turn it over and you beat on the starter with something (long pipe, crow bar, or hammer) and usually it will let the starter turn over.

88xjlover said:
What year and any other info like that. What do you mean "I think there's no oil in the jeep"?
Your battery is new so I would check starter, cables and ignition switch.

1993 4.0 I6
I meant that since i took off the oil filter and drained the oil, i probably shouldnt try starting it, so I figured I would take the starter off to get tested. but after seeing that maybe i just have to hit it with a hammer, maybe ill just put the wires back on, pour in some oil and then try that

The same thing just started happening to me about 2 weeks ago! At first I figured it was my battery because the old one had a huge amount of corrosion coming from underneath the battery terminal. I replaced it yesterday with no change. Then last night, my jeep gave me problems starting at the gas station. I knew the NSS was acting up, so I cleaned and lubed it today, but that only fixed my no brake light problem.
Basically, I am still having the same problem as the original poster, so if a solution is found, would you mind sharing it?
PCJason

Back