• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop pitman going to help me??

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, My rig is an 89xj @4.75 inches of lift, Problem is I cannot turn very well to the right. I can turn very sharp left though. will rubicon exress number 2503 for 3.5" plus help until I get a complete steering setup? I currently have a drop pitman that drops one inch over my stock one. I've been wheeling like this for over a year, kinda sucks on the trail when its time to turn around ,or in the smaller parking lots. I cannot turn right into a parking slot without making a two point turn. no problem left though.:dunno: :dunno:

A drop pitman has nothing to do with turning radius(you shouldnt even be running the one you have).You need to center/re-center your steering box and drag link.Im at 6+" with all stock steering,no problems with "lock to lock" except I had to lengthen the drag link adjustment collar!

center your wheels, then count turns to the left (full lock )
then center your wheels again, now count your right turns, see if they are the same count..If not you need to re-center your steering box

RCP Phx said:
A drop pitman has nothing to do with turning radius(you shouldnt even be running the one you have).You need to center/re-center your steering box and drag link.Im at 6+" with all stock steering,no problems with "lock to lock" except I had to lengthen the drag link adjustment collar!

A drop pitman arm has everything to do with turning radius. If you pitman arm is too short you will never get full steering. I agree, in this case, it sounds like the box needs to be re centered.

Rockslut said:
A drop pitman arm has everything to do with turning radius. If you pitman arm is too short you will never get full steering. I agree, in this case, it sounds like the box needs to be re centered.

With the Drop pitman arm you're gunna need a steering box brace and or a frame rail stiffner...

How long have you had an XJ? Unless he's running donuts on the front then he's gunna rip the steering box off the frame rail with the added leverage of a drop pitman arm...

Edit: Not trying to be a smart-ass... not sure if you're being sarcastic or not?

Rockslut said:
A drop arm changes the height of the arm not the length(unless you bought the wrong one)!

Yeah... they are nice to have... You can pic one up off ebay or rusty for about 70 bucks. I have the template to make a frame stiffner if you want it... Just let me know... PM me

RCP Phx said:
A drop arm changes the height of the arm not the length(unless you bought the wrong one)!

True, unless you are swapping axles and have different length steering arms. Dana 60 and some D44 arms will not work with stock length (dropped or not) pitman arms. It will all bolt up, but you will never see full steering.

x2 on the re-centering. Installed my 4.5" lift and took it in for tires and alignment...somehow when they were "done" I couldnt' make a right hand turn. After the manger made them start over (turn everything back out), no problem. Of course the first action was to try and talk me into a new Pitman arm. I had to point I drove to them without a problem.

Back