• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA bushing replacement secrets?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of replacing the axle end upper control arm bushings (it got dark). The bolts are out (that was fun). Other than a couple shots of PB Blaster and a BFH, are there any secrets to pressing the bushings out and installing the new ones? We are talking about a '92 rust belt XJ. I doesn't look too bad, but there is not much room to swing a hammer.

LOL I was up till 5am that night! I spent 4 hours under my jeep with a BFH and flat head screw driver! I mutilated the old ones while trying to remove them! The next day my neck and back was KILLIN me! I could see where a ball joint press would have helped greatly if it didnt push the bushing out of the sleeve first...

IntrepidXJ said:
ball joint press makes things a bit easier than using a BFH.

you can rent one for free from Auto Zone, etc...

x2. Thats what I did and it made it easier. Be careful when removing and pressing the new one in the passenger side bracket that you dont sandwich the bracket together. Insert a little socket or screwdriver inbetween the plates so it doesnt bend.

I have one of the Advance Auto ball joint presses, its made by PowerBuilt and works well for the ball joints and the UCA bushings. I just did mine Sunday, took only a couple of min to press each bushing once I got to them.

I like new tools!!
I appreciate all the suggestions. I have gone the Autozone route a few times. Seems like every tool I rent (for free) comes pre-buggered up.
There is an Advance Auto on my way home, I'll check out that one. If they don't have have it, I'll go down the road to Home Depot and try the pipe fittings and threaded rod deal. That looks pretty straightforward. I can see how it works, which is an attribute not lightly dismissed.

I got the old ones out by heating the metal sleeve around the rubber with a propane torch. After lots of dripping rubber, black smoke and bad smell (OUTDOORS!!!), I could then drive the rubber part out with a pipe. The metal sleeve can then be folded in and removed - I kept mine in place since I used poly bushings (mistake - should have used rubber).

kevin s said:
I like new tools!!
I appreciate all the suggestions. I have gone the Autozone route a few times. Seems like every tool I rent (for free) comes pre-buggered up.
There is an Advance Auto on my way home, I'll check out that one. If they don't have have it, I'll go down the road to Home Depot and try the pipe fittings and threaded rod deal. That looks pretty straightforward. I can see how it works, which is an attribute not lightly dismissed.

Yeah, one of the balljoint presses I rented had been stripped at one end. But I just threaded it in backwards so that worked lol.

4xBob said:
I got the old ones out by heating the metal sleeve around the rubber with a propane torch. After lots of dripping rubber, black smoke and bad smell (OUTDOORS!!!), I could then drive the rubber part out with a pipe. The metal sleeve can then be folded in and removed - I kept mine in place since I used poly bushings (mistake - should have used rubber).

Why was that a mistake?

Back