• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem

OSUBauer

NAXJA Forum User
As I was driving my 93 today, it started pulling to the left and I smelleda "burning clutch" smell. When I got home and looked under the Jeep, there was smoke coming from the right front rotor. This was under normal driving conditions. Any ideas what is causing this?

Change your rubber brake lines or at least make sure that it is free and clear sometimes they can break down over the years of heat and ware. I have had these rubber lines even give out so if I was you I would change them just for safely reasons. Steel braided brake lines would be a good swap.

new calipers and brake hoses. the caliper is keeping the pad on the rotor and not returning when you let off the pedal. if it got hot enough to smoke you probably boiled the brake fluid so make sure after you get the new caliper on there you bleed the system until there is no more brown fluid coming out of there.

Ok, I replced both calipers, roters and pads. I didn't replace the lines only because they didn't have them in stock. No big deal, I'd like to get some SS ones and those are easy enough to replace later.

So, after installing everything and bleeding the lines, refilling the master cylinder reservoir and taking a test drive, when I step on the brake it pulls to the left. I re-bled the right line (had my wife step on the brake and closed the bleeder as fluid was coming out) and it is still doing it. What do I do now?

Take it to a shop and have them pressure bleed the whole system.

Check to make sure you re-installed everything correctly. IF you didn't put your caliper guide pins back in, stuff like that.

If that still doesn't work you may have an alignment problem. Or you may need to replace your rubber flex lines.

And stainless brake lines are a waste of money. You don't gain any performance advantage using them. They are stiffer, more prone to breaking and they really are hard to work with. If you need longer lines, get some stock lines for a 95 YJ. They work great.

Back