• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt Problem

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Belt was off this a.m. I'm guessing it jumped off when I started it up, as I'd notice a little thing like no PS.

I put it back on twice and it jumps off on the PS pump side. Gator Back belt and no shredding or chunks out of it. I'm suspicious of the idler, it has some wobble unless it is really torqued down, it's hard to get the belt really tight, and doesn't turn all that freely. Anybody seen this problem where the pulley doesn't lock up all the way but the belt still pops off? Or should I keep looking for a big problem. Everything else turns pretty freely, except the crank, of course.

Make sure the idler bolt goes thru the hole. If it doesn't and you start tightening it up, it will bend the bolt and strip the threads. Don't ask me how I know either.

I am betting on your harmonic balancer being bad. Check it for bulging rubber. If you have a friend, put it all back together and watch the balancer when your friend starts it up. Just don't get too close. Flying belt = Darwin award nominee.

Couldn't figure it out and took it to a mechanic (I'm soooo embarrassed!)
The A/C bracket had broken clean in half because the dip-shits that replaced my head last summer didn't torque the bolts properly and the lower 2 fell out! My A/C compressor and the fan pulley were operating in their own planes, and neither was congruent with the other pulleys.

I hate when that happens.

I need the car soon so it looks like I'm paying the stealer $135 for the aluminum bracket.

Wow. Glad you found it. That sounds like a mess.

Wait...you went to the dealer and didn't spend at least $300? I thought that was the ante for a visit. Don't feel bad about going to the dealer. I run about 50/50 on repairs. There are some things that I would just rather leave to them.

That was just the part. Had a local mechanic with lots of Jeep-itude do the work. He only charged me for an hour of labor at $58/hr. Hell of a nice guy and really knows his chit!

Back