• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!! won't start

jimmyc75

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first heres what happened. I have an 87 cherokee 4.0. Got in truck at work started to drive it home, all of the sudden it started to sputter so i turned around and went back to work as i was pulling in to park it died. So i tried to start it and it turned over but wont start. I towed it home and thought the fuel pump went bad so I replaced it. it still won't start and my lights and everything electrical wont work battery reads 12.46 volts. my cooolant bottle has been leaking on the relays but the relay for the fuel pump kicks on but the pump doesn't. Was thinking the battery was fried or maybe the alternator. I need a direction to start looking in it has me lost. electrical sucks.
jim

Well, if nothing electrical is really working (lights, radio, etc.) and the starter isn't cranking, I'd start with the battery. Have you tried jumping it with another? Check your battery cables including their connection to the battery, the starter and grounds.

Back