• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92XJ 4.0L into a 96XJ???

LSMOPARS

NAXJA Forum User
I got a good running 92 4.0L out of a XJ and I want to put it in my 96 xj anyone ever done it with it all work with my 96 xj is there anything different about the two moters ??:huh:

the 4.0 went obd2 sometime in 96,so you may have to use the 96 computer and sensors,but the motor should bolt in fine. I just did the opposite of what you are doing,i put a 96 engine in my 92,runs great!! I just used the 92 computer and sensors.

I put a 89 Renix block in a 97 with the 97's head all the mounting holes were the same. 92-96 will work, just make sure if its from a manual transmission to remove the pilot bearing. The nub that sticks out on the torque converter will end up where the bearing is.

Here are the differences:

92 has temp sensor in the head. 96 has the temp sensor in the thermostat, and a bolt at an odd angle in the hole in the head for the temp sensor.

92 has no studs protruding from the head or block, only bolts. 96 will have studs sticking out on 1. the ac compressor bracket 2. the front and rear of the "combination manifold". All the holes/studs are in the same places however.

92's valve cover is different.

Some of the head bolts on the 96 are studs. All of the head bolts on the 92 are bolts.

The valve springs were tweaked at some point, with the 96 springs being somewhat improved.

92 had much heavier pistons, and I believe they are of better quality, however, the 96 pistons are better from a performance standpoint AFAIK.

Just recently I swapped a 92 head and pistons into a 1996 ZJ 4.0.

Good luck with your swap.

Joe. :conceited

EDIT: it just occurred to me that the piston rings changed in 96. 92 are of standard sizes that I cant recall, and the top 2 rings are different sizes. They are of casting e234k, and are in common with certain years of Bel Air straight sixes. The 96-up pistons have metric rings, two 1.5mm top rings and a 4.0mm lower ring, i believe casting e925. Both of the standard top rings are significantly bigger than the metric ones, another advantage of the earlier engines. The rods of the earlier pistons are somewhat longer, but the total compression height is the same. The wrist pin design is also different, the earlier ones allow for some lateral play, but the modern ones do not...

I could go on and on about this, but since you're not rebuilding anyway, not much of this applies to you. But hey, you want differences, you get differences.

Oh yeah, get the exhaust manifold welded while you have the chance. It'll probably hold for a few years...

Last edited:
not to disagree,darjevon,but the 96 engine i put into my 92 has the temp sensor in the thermostat housing just like my 92 did,and the temp gauge switch in the back of the head,but it is for the gauge,not the computer.

Back