• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting hard

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
i sware its just one thing after another with my jeep. like the tittle says...i have an automatic 2000 cherokee with 75k miles and when i go to put it in drive it shifts into gear so hard that it like jerks me forward. it has been doing this but now it is to where its making a grinding metal on metal noise and i also can feel some vibrations around 30 mph and around 65-70 so i dont know if anyone has had this problem but please help me out!

thanks

-ryan

Checked you Tranny fluid?

rhino317 said:
i sware its just one thing after another with my jeep. like the tittle says...i have an automatic 2000 cherokee with 75k miles and when i go to put it in drive it shifts into gear so hard that it like jerks me forward. it has been doing this but now it is to where its making a grinding metal on metal noise and i also can feel some vibrations around 30 mph and around 65-70 so i dont know if anyone has had this problem but please help me out!

thanks

-ryan

You may have a broken tranny mount or you need a tranny service. How about your u-joints? (check all including front axle). Bad TPS? (I don't think you would have grinding noises for this).

everything seems to be tight the front driveshaft U joints look kinda crappy but i dunno. i noticed if you try and turn the driveshaft the front one will move back and forth a little but the back wont. is there suppose to be a little play in it?

you're running dex III right? a lot of auto parts stores and shops will try to sell you atf+3 or atf+4 which will FUBAR the AW4 in a hurry

ok so i pulled out the front driveshaft to see if that helps and one of the u joints just falls off so i know those are messed up but the vibs seem to be gone but it still seems to be shifting harder than id like so im thinking the t-case mount is broke.

Got pics?

just as i thought the vibrations and the hard shifting were gone they are still there. i took the front driveshaft out and so im thinking there is something wrong with the transfer case.

Back