• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me identify my parts!

98XJLimitedNateWV

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm a total newb here. I just got a 98 Cherokee Limited and am planning on doing some modifications. I want to identify a few things so I know what I'm working with. So without crawling underneath the thing I want to find out what axles I have. I've been doing some reading so I know I have a D30 up front. I know that if I have ABS that I have a D35 in the back...but how can I find out if it has ABS without smashing the brakes to find out?? Also is it possible to tell which transfer case I have based on it being the Limited? Thanks in advance for the expert info!

I'll tell you how in 3 steps.

step 1. Go outside
Step 2 drink beer
step 3 Look under rig.

Seriously, go and look, the 8.25 will have a big flat lip on the bottom, the D35 will be oval shapes all the way round.
Chances are since it's a limited, it's probably got ABS.

Now i'm pretty lazy but even i will go look under my truck lol you could always take your vin and look it up for a list of options (can't recall the site or if it was a request from chrystler) but if your already out there by your jeep you could just give a quick peek under

90XJay said:
Now i'm pretty lazy but even i will go look under my truck lol you could always take your vin and look it up for a list of options (can't recall the site or if it was a request from chrystler) but if your already out there by your jeep you could just give a quick peek under

lol I don't care to look under but I'm not sure I'd know what I'm looking for once I get there on the transfer case.

98XJLimitedNateWV said:
haha that sounds like a plan. I knew about the flat bottom on the 8.25. How about the transfer case? I have 2H, part-time 4H, full-time 4H, and 4L if that helps.

You have the NP242 transfer case.

Get under your Jeep and look at the inside of the wheel/brake area. If you have a round piece of metal with lots of grooves cut into it that is pressed around your driveshaft, that's your tone ring for that wheel and you have abs. This also means you have a Dana 35 rear axle. Of course if you don't find this you are slightly luckier because you have the 8.25 rear axle.

Since you have a limited, the chances are very good that you have the np242 transfer case.

d_dana35.jpg

turdy 5

axle_825.jpg

8.25 you can see the lip on the bottom

98XJLimitedNateWV said:
Thanks for all the replies...Looks like I've got the NP242 transfer case and the D35...I have ABS :(
Now that you have all this information what do you plan to do with your Jeep? ? ?

Here is my list so far...It will be a work in progress because I don't have the money to drop all at once. I know I will need some skid plates, but I wasn't sure which would be most important to start with so they aren't on the list yet...also I'll be getting the kind of "required" stuff like a CB, first aid kit, hi-lift jack, recovery straps, fire extenguisher. I'll probably start with the lift and wheels and tires since they are the biggest expense then go from there.

Rubicon Express 3.5 Super-Flex with Rear Springs
Mile Marker E9000 Winch
JCR Offroad Cherokee Front Winch Bumber
CRAGAR Series 397 Soft 8 Black Wheel with 5 on 4.5" Bolt Pattern
Dick Cepek Radial F-C II Tire 31X10.5
JCR Offroad Stage 2 Rock Sliders
CARR Deluxe XP3 Light Bar in Black
KC HiLiTES 6" Round SlimLite Series Long Range
KC HiLiTES 6" Round SlimLite Series Fog
JCR Offroad Stage 3 Rear Bumber

Let me know what you think of my choices...I want good quality stuff, but I'm budget conscious too.

Last edited:
Don't forget gears other than that looks like a real good setup.. might want a poly spacer in the front RE springs usually give more than advertised. Possibly T-Case Drop or SYE :X

That actually brings me to another question...I'm not sure which gears I currently have...I think if it has the tow package with the 3.73 gear I'm golden...if it has the 3.55 then not so much...Anyone know how to tell? I have a receiver, but I'm not sure it was on there from the factory or not. I think you are right about the SYE or tcase drop. The good part about the tcase drop is that it's like 50 bucks or less so not a big deal there.

look at the lil plate in the diff cover, 90% of the time.. their 3.55's

ok you got me curious so I went outside in the dark and started crawling around under the rig...I've got good new and bad news...bad news is I couldn't find the tag with the gear info...good news if that I don't the the turdy-5 afterall! I hadn't actually looked underneath I was driving it earlier and saw where the ABS light was on the gauges and just assumed it did have it but that is probably there whether it actually has ABS or not. It is definitely the 8.25 though so that is good.

This is fun lol it's like a treasure hunt!

Last edited:
Back