• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dexron IV: good or bad?

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with about 120k miles on it. I want to get my transmission oil changed or flushed since it has never been. Ive read on here that I should use Dexron III but when I called the guy whos going to change it, he said that they stopped making the Dexron III and now they are using the Dexron IV. Ive only seen one post saying that 4 was bad so i dont know if that is true or not. Has anyone had any problems or experience using Dexron 4?

I put Dexron IV in my 2000XJ daily driver 10K miles ago with no ill effects to date.

Dexron IV will have all the properties of Dexron III, and then some. DEXRON III is being phased out, just as you can't find Dexron II anymore.

Tom

It shouldn't. I have 10K miles on mine with no problems. Pretty soon Dexron III will be obselete.

Blaine B. said:
I haven't heard of Dexron 4. They still make Dexron 3. He may be reffering to ATF +4 but you don't want to use that in the AW4. Only Dexron 2 and up in the AW4!!!
why?

ATF+4 is for Chrylser Transmission's only.

I would really stick with Dex III unless it's absolutely not avaliable to you. I don't have anything to base that comment on, but why stray from what the factory recommends?

I use Dex 4 nothing wrong with my AW4 yet. And it is getting very hard to find Dex3 on the shelves anymore around KC

Back