• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright, NAXJA, here's $800, help me out

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
im tryin to lift my 89 xj, 4.0L, 5-speed. dana35 rear end. what i want:

good ride
good looking heavy duty parts
no over $800 dollars to be able to install whatever and drive down my road safely (A.K.A. any extra parts that i need)
i want atleast 3.5" or higher
and i already got a 2" budget boost consisting of shackles and coil spacers
which i'd like to use

alright so ive been talkin to rusty and lookin at the site and i was thinking of ordering the 4.5" kit and asking him to swap the control arms out for some 6.5" control arms and track bar so id use my budget boost with the 4.5" coils/leafs but have appropriate control arms.

or i just browsed over to rubicon express and i knwo their top dog but i can only afford the 3.5" and thats not exactly as high as i wanted my jeep becuase i want to clear 33's i got my front fenders cut up a bit so my 30's with my 2" dont rub but im relaly aiming for 33x12.50's that dont rub too bad, what do you guys think?

remember, msut be under $800 or $800

the 3.5 RE gives more than that. more around 4.5 actual lift. you should be able to clear 33's just fine with fender trim. and the RE is waaaaay better quality than rusty's. i had a rusty's 4.5, and then only think i have left on it from the origional kit after 4 years is the rear leafs. do a search on rusty's and you will find that the kits are not good. if you call dirk at DPGoffroad (dpgoffroad.com) he could quite possibly put together a very good riding kit, and that guy really knows his stuff, he wont screw you over. but don't do rusty's.... you will get death wobble after a few years. he does make nice skids tho. just my opionion though. good luck with the rig!!

you can fit 35's on stock if your only trying to clear tires chop it up... its going to be hard to get a lift of that size tires shocks + if youre not doing the installation yourself which can be very expensive 3-600 depending on the place. Quick disconnects + rims if you have stocks right now... looking at a lot more... gears blah blah blah

33's are like 150 (minimum) per x 4 is already 600$. Also D35 w/ 33's is rough depending on how hard you are the gas/trails you ride.

yes well i will install the components myself, next paycheck will be the tires,and the rubicon express kit comes with quick disconnects. if i can clear 33x12.50's with a RE 3.5" flex series kit ill order it tomorrow morning. but also i wanna be able to maybe use my rear shackle and my front coil spacer or perhaps a smaller one, (mine's 2")

Dgrig pointed out RE rear springs do give more than advertised, you might want to use your front poly to level it out and not the shackle perhaps. Might net your around 4.5 possibly 5 inches. I've heard of 89's not having problems with vibs.. just one actually tcase drop or SYE but you dont have the $ for it

Well rubicon express is saying 820 for a 3.5" kit with twin tube shocks best ones they offer, has disconnects. im guessing no new trac bar or anything? for 810 i can get everything from rustys instead it'd be 6.5". i expected to need an sye i can do that in 2 weeks just wanna be able to drive though

you will def. be able to clear the 33's. with trim... but as stated before, you have already and are not afraid to do it. also something to think about. if the RE kit doesnt give you as much as you want, you can put the shackles and spacer in there and boost it. but i dont think you will be dissapointed with RE.

go with the RC, i hear guys all the time bitch about RUSTYS shipping cost an no service.. If your a member you get a discount, so sign up to be one a save money.. naxja member

you would lose some on road comfort and have more of a tendency to Death wobble and steering issues. RC is a good compremise. lots better than rusty's but still not quite RE... although RC is more complete. you could put together your own hybrid, but that tends to get more expensive, largly due to shipping each peice. x2 for the RC. a 1" space is very doable.

thing is though with rustys i bet he'd put in 6.5" control arms at no cost into the 4.5" kit. and that way i use my stock spacers/shackles and i get a new track bar and everything, whereas with rough country their control arms i doubt will support an extra 2" of more angle and they give a track bar extension which sounds rigged wacky.

Back