• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did i fry my starter?

adamtn

NAXJA Forum User
Today, my NSS finally went out, all the way. I tried the trick i've always used on other cars, i put a jumper from one post of the starter to the other. It didn't work and made a slight spark on one of the terminals.

I got the jeep home and rebuilt the NSS, my reverse lights work now so i know that the NSS rebuild is correct. The jeep won't turn over now though. Did i fry my starter or is there a fuse/relay that i can check before i go buy a new starter?

Last edited:
Check with a test light or meter to see if you are getting power to the start terminal (small one) while someone holds the key in the start position. Make sure they hold the brakes just in case!!! If you can verify power to the solenoid, that's probably your problem, if not you'll have to start tracing the problem further back...GOOD LUCK !

I'll give those suggestions a try. Also, i had never had any previous starter issues. The NSS rebuild i had put off for way too long, it was really easy once i got it out and cut all the zip ties off.

i tried the pick light on all the terminals on the starter and it didn't light. Where should i go from there? I can hear the ignition click once when i turn the key. It seems like a blown fuse or something but i don't see anything that looks like that in the manual.

i re tested the connection and found that it had power. Took off the starter and took it to carquest to get tested it tested fine, i hooked it back up and things work now. I don't know how, but it is fixed now.

Back