• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Replacement

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
Here are step-by-step instructions for replacing the harmonic balancer.

What you'll need:
1. Harmonic Balancer Puller (about $16)
2. 13mm socket
3. 15mm socket
4. 3/4 in. socket
5. socket wrenches for above sockets
6. 1/2 in. diameter x 2 in. length bolt threaded 20 tpi
7. 1/2 in. large diameter washers (about four)
8. New harmonic balancer (about $55)

Removing the serpentine belt:
1. Now would be a good time to make a rough drawing of the serpentine belt path if you don't have a book that tells you the correct path.
2. Use the 13 mm socket to loosen the bottom, front bolt on the power steering pump bracket (it has a long slot that it rides in)
3. Use the 13mm socket to adjust the bolt on the side of the power steering pump as needed to loosen the serpentine belt.
4. Once the belt is loose (should be VERY loose), use the 15mm socket to remove the idler pulley bolt and remove the idler pulley.
5. Remove the serpentine belt. Inspect it carefully. If you see any cracking or fraying, you will need to replace it (about $25 for good quality). You might as well grab a new idler pulley while you're at it (about $16) to save yourself the trouble of changing it down the road.

Removing the harmonic balancer:
1. Get comfortable under your Jeep.
2. Grab your harmonic balancer puller and line up the three bolt slots with the bolt holes (closest to the center of the balancer).
3. Thread the three puller bolts into the balancer and tighten (the goal is not to get the puller tight, but to get enough threads into the balancer to make the pull safe and keep the main shaft straight).
4. Start spinning the main shaft of the puller making sure the point gets lines up on the shaft.
5. Keep spinning until the balancer comes off. Some other folks on this site have suggested interesting ways to keep the engine from spinning while doing this, but I didn't have much trouble and was able to complete the job without braking the engine.

Installing the new balancer:
1. Some may disagree with this, but I greased the inside of the balancer and did not replace the keyway in the shaft. Do as you see fit.
2. Get the 2" long bolt and large washer from your old balancer.
3. Line up the new balancer on the shaft making sure to pay attention to the orientation of the keyway on the shaft and the keyway slot on the balancer.
4. Start your bolt into the shaft and pull the new balancer on. This sounds easy, but took me about 20 minutes to get right.
5. After you pull the balancer on the shaft about 1/4 in. you can back the bolt back out. If you have some grease handy, put a little on the four washers (If not, that's OK). Put the washers on the bolt along with the large washer from the old balancer. This new stack should give you plenty of run to get the balancer most of the way on. Once you start getting close to the engine back the bolt out, remove all washers except for the original and pull the balancer on the rest of the way (about 1/8 in. from the engine).

Replace the belt:
Removing the belt in reverse. If you have a belt tension gauge, use it.

This removed my chirps , squeals, and squeeks that I thought were caused by a slipping belt. It also aligned by pulleys and will keep the engine from chewing up any more belts (I'm on the fourth in less than a year!). I can turn on my A/C without embarrasing squeals from my engine!

Thanks to those who previously posted regarding this problem!

I couldn't get mine broke without the engine turning. I found a large enough rubber strap wrench(that fit around the balancer) at Lowes to hold the engine.

all good, but you forgot to remove the big bolt in the center before you installed the puller.... prolly won't come off 'til you do that:sad1::sad1:

--Shorty

Back