• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear question

mr.bigg

NAXJA Forum User
me and my friend have been arguing:twak: over whether it was a good idea to install used gears in a DD,i wanna put used gears in my D44 and he keeps crying new,new,new.its my belief that gears are installed at the factory with great precision,if reinstalled in another case to factory spec. this should be acceptable:confused: .is this right or wrong?(BTW i am looking for a set of 4:10's for a D44 standard rotation new or used)

I've re-used gears before - not on a Jeep, but on a Mopar. As long as they are installed properly on a carrier that's made to hold them and the backlash is properly set, you shouldn't have a problem.

In my experiance, they will work fine if set-up properly but they may be noisy for at least a while. It would be impossible to take a set of gears from one axle and put them in another and nail the exact same set-up, therefore the gears will have some whine either on accel or deccel untill they wear in.

Back