• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing canister thing on side of radiator??

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my Jeep is running hot, not all the time... just when it's really hot outside. It's an 88 MJ with a 4.0 open style radiator system.
It doesn't have AC, and people keep telling me to remove the canister thing on the side of the radiator, it will make it run cooler?

What is this thing exactly? Its on the passenger side, correct?
Why does removing it make your engine run cooler?

Canister thing? Are you talking about the vacuum ball that has two black lines running out of it? On the lower radiator support, bottom right? If so, then no. You'll leak vacuum and the engine will run poorly because of a lean mixture.

89CherokeePioneer said:
Canister thing? Are you talking about the vacuum ball that has two black lines running out of it? On the lower radiator support, bottom right? If so, then no. You'll leak vacuum and the engine will run poorly because of a lean mixture.
Good answer, but wrong reason. The engine fuel-air mixture has nothing to do with the vacuum ball.

Is this the thing you're talking about? In some model years, it's a round canister but this is on my '96 behind the front passenger-side bumper.
vac_botl.jpg

That controls the HVAC air mixture doors; without it in the loop you're going to get air blowing out of the vents. Topic comes up weekly 'round these parts...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Well, I'm really only familar with GM cars, but isn't that supposed to keep the entire vacuum system holding vacuum when the engines been turned off? I assumed so since despite the tee's, it all winds up going to the intake manifold at SOME point.

If you remove it you WON'T have any air blowing out your vents except the defrost, and it has absolutely nothing to do with how your cooling system cools the engine or how hot the thing runs. Leave it there.

Need a picture. lol
cooling3.jpg

See this site may help ya out..
Diff model but if you see your "can" tell us. Site has good write up on upgrading cooling system.

89CherokeePioneer said:
Well, I'm really only familar with GM cars, but isn't that supposed to keep the entire vacuum system holding vacuum when the engines been turned off? I assumed so since despite the tee's, it all winds up going to the intake manifold at SOME point.

correct! and it does cause a vacuum leak, and it will affect the A/F ratio!

As it is used in the Jeep, it only holds vacuum for the HVAC, but if disconnected without plugging the lines, unmetered air will enter the intake and could concievably cause a lean (hot) mixture. A functioning O2 sensor should read this and since it's a small leak, the ECU should be able to pulse the injectors longer to compensate. This, however assumes that everything is functioning correctly

--Shorty

I don't have any canisters or have seen any canisters attached to radiators on XJs... I don't think any of us has a clue what it is yet. Are there any hoses coming out of it? If so, where do they go to? If it's not connected to anything then I'd say it's safe to remove, but if possible please take a picture becuase I don't think anyone here has any idea of what it is...

also I think we're just curious to see what it is... at least I am..

Ok we need a pic? An 88 is a lot different than what most of us have. I have an 88 XJ and maybe he is talking about the charcoal canister? Although that would not do anything.
Barillms do you have a gap between the radiator and the Front header panel? What about a new radiator cap?

I wonder if your friends are thinking about the A/C receiver/drier that is attached next to the radiator on the drivers side on older 2.5L and 2.8L models (don't know about newer 2.5s). The receiver "canister" is on the passenger side on the 4.0s but not really directly next to the radiator. In any event, the presence of the receiver itself would not affect cooling but it is connected to the condenser in front of the radiator which would present some resistance to airflow through the radiator. Maybe someone can comment on the effect of the condenser on cooling efficiency when the A/C is not operating.

Pelican said:
I wonder if your friends are thinking about the A/C receiver/drier that is attached next to the radiator on the drivers side on older 2.5L and 2.8L models (don't know about newer 2.5s). The receiver "canister" is on the passenger side on the 4.0s but not really directly next to the radiator. In any event, the presence of the receiver itself would not affect cooling but it is connected to the condenser in front of the radiator which would present some resistance to airflow through the radiator. Maybe someone can comment on the effect of the condenser on cooling efficiency when the A/C is not operating.

I was kinda thinking that too, but me never having seen a 4 cyl XJ or MJ, I coudln't say.

It could kinda stop the flow out of the radiator, but if this just started and not everyone has this problem then some thing else must be a miss. Do you have the tranny cooler? I noticed when my tranny fluid got worn out my temp in it went up and that made my water temp rise because of the hotter airflow through the radiator? Just guessing!

Back