• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating on the freeway

joe.zile

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced everyhing in the cooling system and my 1995 Jeep Cherokee is still overheating on the freeway. I installed an aftermarket three core radiator, new water pump and thermostat. I replaced the fan clutch too. It is really getting frustrating. I live in Las Vegas, so tempertures are always above 100 degrees. Anybody have any thoughts.

I just replaced the water pump when I did the radiator. I can go out wheeling and it stays at 210. It only overheats at freeway speeds. My electric fan is working.

Check for a crack in the exhaust manifold and replace the gauge sensor with one from the Dealer. Those are the 2 things i narrowed my problems down to after replacing everything as well.

Air moving through the radiator. Does the Xj have AC? Is the AC condensor clear of dirt and other debris?

Water moving through the engine. Check the water hoses especially the one at the bottom of the radiator. I like the spring inside idea. It prevents the hose from colapsing at high RPM. Also verify the water pump is good and it is the correct rotation (yes I know you just replaced it but are you sure it is good?).

Did you flush the block before you put in the new radiator? Scales dislodged from inside the engile block could clog the tubes of the new radiator.

techno1154 said:
Air moving through the radiator. Does the Xj have AC? Is the AC condensor clear of dirt and other debris?

Water moving through the engine. Check the water hoses especially the one at the bottom of the radiator. I like the spring inside idea. It prevents the hose from colapsing at high RPM. Also verify the water pump is good and it is the correct rotation (yes I know you just replaced it but are you sure it is good?).

Did you flush the block before you put in the new radiator? Scales dislodged from inside the engile block could clog the tubes of the new radiator.

I was also going to suggest checking the lower hose. The ones that were in the XJ's have the said spring in there to keep them from collapsing, and most of the ones sold in the auto parts stores do NOT have that said spring.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I was also going to suggest checking the lower hose. The ones that were in the XJ's have the said spring in there to keep them from collapsing, and most of the ones sold in the auto parts stores do NOT have that said spring.
New hoses dont have that spring becuase they are built sturdier than ones Jeep put it, FWIW. My Goodyear hoses dont have a spring - and with the new water pump, csf rad and all those other cooling goodies I have yet to go over 220, which I hit on the beach, with 4 other people in the Jeep, when it was 85 degrees out, with the AC on.

Otherwise I'm a cool 200.

93XJLI said:
New hoses dont have that spring becuase they are built sturdier than ones Jeep put it, FWIW. My Goodyear hoses dont have a spring - and with the new water pump, csf rad and all those other cooling goodies I have yet to go over 220, which I hit on the beach, with 4 other people in the Jeep, when it was 85 degrees out, with the AC on.

Otherwise I'm a cool 200.

I guess there really is a big difference in some of the ones being offered now w/o the springs. I've read several complaints of people getting hoses w/o them, and having them collapse.

Personally, i'm not sure if mine's still the OEM hose or not...sure does look like it. I guess at 100K, I should probably go ahead and change that. Did a coolant drain and refill last summer, and that alone made a big difference. Ran it shortly after at the beach as well, with 5 people and it was about 90* or so and it didn't even creep up over 210.

Electric fan only kicks on now when it's 100* and i'm stuck in traffic for a while, where as before it used to kick on just about every time I came to a stop period in anything over 80*

Ever flush the block? Last summer I went through all this when my radiator died. Hunk-o-crap must have broken loose in my rad, took out the bearings on my water pump, then got lodged up in the water jackets. I replaced the water pump, 195° t-stat with the bleeder hole aligned at 12'o'clock, radiator with a 3-core, fan clutch, serpentine, upper rad hose, lower rad hose with spring inside, 3-way valve that goes to heater core, all associated rubber hoses attached to 3 way valve, and cleaned out the AC condenser. Would still overheat on the highway. I ran 3 seperate block flushs through it total and every time they came out looking nasty. In between I kept putting in new 50/50 antifreeze too. Finally after the 3rd flush my overheating went away. Search on my posts and you'll find the thread.

I installed a new OEM radiator, Turbo City Tstat housing and hiflow tstat, flowkooler water pump, and new hoses. it alleviated my cooling issues thankfully. The radiator was definitely the culprit for me.

You wont notice much difference with Turbo City's hi flow tstat housing unless you have a high flow pump. I wont be purchasing another flowkooler water pump again due to 2 separate incidents with clearance on the block and the propeller. Get a hesco water pump or just stay OEM.

New radiators dont always mean they dont clog up. You need to flush the hell out of the system before installing the new radiator and even new radiators welds might come loose and block the tubes.

I'm going to be ordering a bunch o Tefba coolant filters to get the grime out.

Back