• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i get an opinon about this pic?

ftwxj

NAXJA Forum User
This is where the leak is coming from. Again, it only leaks when it gets warm.
HPIM0257.jpg

HPIM0261.jpg

Does it just like there is a missing bolt there?

Last edited:
if it only leaks if it gets hot....
metal usually expands when that happens

maybe you need a new gasket

almost looks like a bolt hole
does it look to be broken?

I'm assuming you have an auto tranny. It looks like tranny fluid. Did you do some work on it recently?

Try using some degreaser and clean everything off. Then get it warm and see if you can tell where the leak trail is coming from.

Had ford F350 did that. coworker backed a trailer up a hill in 2wd. over heat trany and seal would leak. was fine normal conditions or in 4wd. u check trany temp / add extra cooler on...

Looks like a over heat leak.

Fast95Neon said:
almost looks like a bolt hole
does it look to be broken?

That is exactly what I was thinking...
and where that comes together is where it is leaking from
if you look ard on the bottom pic you can see it seeping out

it is an auto 2000 4x4

and it shifts just fine

I recently had an issue w/ TPS but that is now fixed.
it was doing this before only a lot worse due to the high rpms from the faulty sensor

can anyone check and see if there is supposed to be a bolt where that hole is?

on the top pic you can see to the left that there is a bolt securing it down

Are you talking about the first pic? The one "inline" with the drain plug?

Your definitely leaking tranny fluid from the bell housing.
There may be a leak in the torque converter, or output shaft seal.
There is not supposed to be any fluid in the bell housing itself. The part your referring to is simply a shield for the flex-plate (flywheel).

yeah (edit) my 2000 did the same thing..when it warmed up past say 210 degrees (usually only when i am sitting in traffic exiting 4th of july fireworks) it starts dumping tranny fluid on the exhaust downpipe from the exact same location..

rumor has it you can

1.install a v8 zj tranny cooler or better yet an aftermarket tranny cooler and temp gauge.

2. (in my case) replace malfunctioning, out of balance stock electric fan with nice aftermarket model. (note: i am unsure of why the electric fan had an impact on the tranny temp but it did. I ran without a e-fan or the motor clutch fan shroud for a while..so make sure you have those items and walla you should be good to go..

3. oh yea..swapped tranny fluid / filter lately? if not do it..

RLTW,
Grifter

Thanks a lot, if there was something busted inside the bellhousing wouldn't it effect the way it shifts gears?

Mine too will begin leaking once 210 is reached...

and when my cooling fan comes on it buzzes pretty loud

Should I try replacing the fan and replacing the engine coolant?

the puddle is leaves depends on how long I drive it on the way home from work it leaves a spot about the size of a silver dollar but if i get on the highway it'll make one about 6in in diameter

its almost paid off and I don't want to have to rebuild the tranny

any other ideas?

I have also heard that the front transmission pump seal could be bad

If this is the case does anyone know how much that would cost?

Mine leaks like a mutha only when im towing something with my big ass tires and shitty gearing... Shit just gets too hot! Metal expands and seals leak... Get a tranny cooler and gear appropriatly...

Tranny coolers and a new steering wheel will never fix a leaking front pump seal in an automatic transmission. If you want to fix the problem correctly and not worry about it any more, the transmission needs to be removed and the seal replaced.

A tranny cooler is not a bad idea for any tranny but will not fix a leaking seal.

if it only leaks when it overheats then fix the heat problem... NO seal was designed to over heat... of course its not gunna hold fluid when its 400 degrees. I'm not saying it shouldnt be replaced... I'm just saying that it prolly wouldnt leak if the tranny didnt over heat.

Last edited:
I just talked to a guy about replacing the seal
he's asking 400 which I don't think is too bad
compared to rebuilding it that is
is this about the right price?

assuming the guy has a legitimate shop and has to pay insurance, rent, etc... the price is not too bad, but neither is the job to replace it yourself--

if you've got access to a decent supply of tools and a couple good jacks and stands, it's a matter of pulling the trans and popping out the seal. If you've never pulled one, I'd give yourself the weenend to do it, but really, it's more like a 4-5hr job (shorter if you've got a access to a lift and a trans. jack)

--Shorty
P.S. I agree that it's the front pump /torque converter seal

x3 on the seal. A leak is a leak is a leak, it's just a mater of time before it leaks full time. That fluid looks a little "red" for an overheat, I'm not buying that theory.

Even at the customary 100% mark-up, new seals are cheap insurance. Check into having the other seals replaced as well. Just dropping the tranny is probably half your labor cost, why pay it again when the other seals wear out?

I was reading post about using the ATF 3 and 4
it made me curious so I posted a question asking about symptoms from this error
Since this is a common error made by autoparts stores could using the wrong fluid cause this problem?
if so would a change maybe help fix this>?

Back