• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Do I properly Install New Leaf Spring Eye Bushings?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I had to purchase new leafs for my 1989 XJ in order to build my S-10 pack as one of my primary leafs had severed. I need to install these until I get the S-10 springs prepared.

I'm assuming the best way to install the new main spring eye bushings is with a hydraulic press and an appropriate adapter. I do own a 12-ton hydraulic press but this is actually quite small. It should work I just do not want to damage the bushings as I'm leaving town next weekend; so it is important I install the bushings correctly the first time!

What makes a good adapter for the larger main bushing? What about for the smaller rear shackle bushing? I typically use sockets for this type of need.

I also purchased the OTC 8031 ball joint press recently (for obvious reasons) so it may be useful as a source for adapters. I do think the hydraulic press will be better than the C-clamp in the ball joint press kit.

Thanks,

Rick

Back