• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next upgrade

mjack

NAXJA Forum User
Just trying to figure out what to do next? If anything at all.

I have a 98XJ D30/chr8.25
RE 5.5 Long arm, discos
ARB front/rear, 4.56
33 Trxxus MT
All skid plates, rock rails and front bumper with 2inch receiver
Roof basket, K/N filter, Optima, air compressor

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/plisco07/Colorado%202007/Img10766.jpg

I use it 80% on road 20% off, but I like to be aggressive off road. I believe in preventative upgrades since I can't fix things on the trail. I would like a bit more crawling power, still feel I need to use momentum more that crawling power. I have thought about winch/quarter panel protection/rear bumper (haven't found a loss without one). I have also thought of doing nothing which is okay....I just get an occasional itch.

Last edited:
re-gear yet? stronger chromoly axles are a very wise investment,I was breaking axles+joints every couple of runs,not no more! rig looks good!

I would drop my cash for a 8-9000 lbs winch on a cradle so you could mount in front or rear. But to be honest I would look at a ZJ rear brake conversion for the rear 8.25, then a WJ steering/brake/knuckle conversion for the front. Use JKS links for OEM WJ TRE usage, can be found at any parts store. Plus you upgrade to dual piston calipers, 12" rotors up front and crossover steering all at once. You seem to have everything else covered.

What about aesthetics? thought about bushwacker flares?

i wouldn't waste any money on flares. he could have a winch for that price and nothing falling off and breaking as well..

A receiver hitch for the rear. You need a tow point out back. And it makes for nice skid armour.

Rear quarter guards are a good idea also.

Hydro assist steering.

Trans cooler and temp gauge.

as to the crawl ratio, low gears in the t-case is your next best bet. A reman Tera low is in the 800 buck area.

I have a rear hitch. I have tossed the winch idea back and forth for about three off road trips now. I found that I would have used it for other people more often than with myself. I have a more built rig than the guys I wheel with so I don't get in terrible situations too often. That being said, it is a great insurance policy.

I don't want to do the bushwacker flares. Too much money and not enough functional gain.

I like the other ideas. I never thought I had a brake problem though.

What about teralow. I am not familiar with it, but I am trying to get power/crawling ability.

Great idea with the quearter panel protection.

Thanks so far....

Since you mention this: "I like to be aggressive off road. I believe in preventative upgrades since I can't fix things on the trail..."

I'd second the alloy shafts + HD front U-joints. A broken axle shaft is definitely a "fix on the trail" type issue, of the most preventable kind. Not cheap, but not outrageous either...

A winch & cradle isn't a bad choice either... both are good 'insurance policy' items.

:idea: GET BOTH and call it done!

Get a Tera-low kit or winch

Call Joel at Ruether's, tell him you're a MWJT member, killer discount. As for the extra shafts...if it's the low range you want, just spend a little extra money on a set of spare front shafts that already have hubs on them. It's not hard to pull a shaft, especially if you have a fully assembled spare. I might know a guy with a few sets laying around, let me know if you want me to mention something.
And for real, do the 2 low kit while the t-case is apart, it's only an extra $160, I'm kicking myself for not taking care of it with my SYE.

Back