• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog light relay location.

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Xj ok went to pick an pull picked up factory fog light switch and installed it. I found a factory harness with 2 black and white a brown and a blue wire in it. It plugged in pefectly. There is no voltage there at the plug and I can't seem to locate the relay for it or the fuse. Thanks to the PO not having an owners manual. Where is the relay for the lights located and the fuse? I do reallize that the stock wiring will only get me power to just beneath the airbox. I hope lol :doh: Yes I just finished reading approx 35 threads on this and none said where the relay is or fuse.

Not sure on a 96 but on a 97+ the fog relays are in the power distribution center on the passenger side, that long thin black box. The box lid should be labeled. You might want to check if the slots in that box actually have a socket under them, my 98 had the holes but no sockets. I had to use the factory add on kit to get my fogs in.

If your XJ did not come from the factory with fogs, then you need to go back to the p-n-p and snag the wireing harness to the headlights. It will be a direct plug in. It will come with the wireing for the fogs and a socket and relay. If you don't have the harness then the switch won't do anything. Oh, you may want to grab more switches too. They will melt on you. And note that the factory fog lamp relay only works when the low beams are on.

HTH

Pigpen

Thanks Pigpen. I shall bypass factory wiring and use the switch to activate my own relay now that I know they won't work on high beam.

Back