• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing temp?

intuitionx2 said:
Temp sits at 210 with only minor ups. Any down side in putting in a 180 stat?:dunno:

Your temps are good, why change it? The engine (assuming you have a 4.0) likes the 195, best to stay away from lower temp stats.

dutchjeep said:
Your temps are good, why change it? The engine (assuming you have a 4.0) likes the 195, best to stay away from lower temp stats.

it is the stock 4.0 just seams hot to me. :flame:
So best to leave stat :( lol

Maybe i'll just do a cold air dam thing. It's stock now with no hole in front so all the air comes off the motor.

I've heard of people running 180 without issues, although you wouldn't want to go lower than that with a 92 and up XJ with OBD1.

If it runs at 210 or just below, that's just right, however.

Blaine B. said:
I've heard of people running 180 without issues, although you wouldn't want to go lower than that with a 92 and up XJ with OBD1.

If it runs at 210 or just below, that's just right, however.

Thanks. it never drops below 210. besides the warm up from first start. I'm listening lol. "Leave well enough alone"

Going to look into cold air intake though..... I know cold in is better.

cold air can hold more fuel, so a less restrictive intake with colder air will allow more air and fuel to reach the combustion chamber easily (in theory).
I have found marginal (at best) improvement from even the top end intakes until you reach "holy-crap-it's-gonna-blow" RPM on other vehicles. As for the XJ- I don't forsee anytime soon where I am gonna spin it high enough to justify a couple hundred bucks and I'd rather use the $$$ for a snorkle and be safe in the H2O.

.02 worth
--Shorty

Shorty said:
cold air can hold more fuel, so a less restrictive intake with colder air will allow more air and fuel to reach the combustion chamber easily (in theory).
I have found marginal (at best) improvement from even the top end intakes until you reach "holy-crap-it's-gonna-blow" RPM on other vehicles. As for the XJ- I don't forsee anytime soon where I am gonna spin it high enough to justify a couple hundred bucks and I'd rather use the $$$ for a snorkle and be safe in the H2O.

.02 worth
--Shorty

Different view on cold air intake. Stock intake box/filter with hole in front next to radiator and a rubber dam to block engine air. Like most cars have stock. Very little off road for me. So water not a concern. Would add a snorkel if I went out after mod. Idea would be to pull air from in front of radiator not from behind it. I think most of these air intakes sold for the jeep are a waste of $$ they tend to let more dirt in the intake. Also they still pull air from behind the radiator = hot air. Cooler air tends to give a slight bump in average mpg.

Alot of those cone or cylinder shaped intakes are just dangerous, as they are really exposed to water. Although some have a shroud to keep it just as cozy as the filter in the stock airbox.....so watch out for what you buy!

Another thought: Most aftermarket intakes are made of thin aluminum. Looks PURDY! Aluminum's heat transfer characteristics are well known. Not only pulls air from under the hood, but heats it more then the stock plastic intake would to boot.

Also, changing stat to 180 shouldn't make it run any cooler, just open up sooner. The stat isn't the limiting factor here. I think stock is what.. 195.. so if stat was limiting factor, you'd see 195 on the guage. Only way to get cooler temp is to increase cooling capacity.. like larger radiator or maybe using a wetting agent. My three XJ's all run within a needle thickness or two of 210.. usually just under, unless in traffic on hot day.. just a tick above.

Back