• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimming Vacum motor for 4wd

ocalajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having problems with 4wd engaging so I took the vacum motor off and put washers in it to shim the fork over to keep the collar over both shafts. When I put it in 4wd, I just get a grinding noise from the front end. When I put it together I checkd to make sure the collar and fork were in the right spots when I put the motor back on but apparently it isn't. How many washers did you use to shim your vacum motor? I kept the vacum lines hooked up to the vacum motor. Any suggestions or any links to a detailed how to, just want to double check my work. Not having 4wd is killing me.

ocalajeeper said:
How many washers did you use to shim your vacum motor?

'bout this many....maybe 6 or 7 (?) Did you put the little circlips back on the shaft (all three of them) after you put the washers in? If not, and you still have the vac lines hooked up, the motor may be pulling the fork back enough to disengage the shift collar.

Jeff

Picture012.jpg

yeah I put the c-clips back in, the larger one was a little tweaked, I guess its a possibility it popped off allowing it to pull back. guess I'll have to take it off again and look.

actually, THANKS for posting that pic. When I pulled it I thought it looked slightly different. I replaced the motor and arm a few years ago and now looking at the picture I see the little "hands" on the ends of the shift forks are missing from mine, lol.

Yeah, you need the hands.

I just used a hose clamp, flipped it, and tore out all the vac lines. Plan a cable shift later. No axles and works just as good, Takes about 30 minutes vs. hours of tearing down the complete right side, buying axles, seals, and being down when you need to be going. I've never seen a report on the shift blowing, just comments about how it must be weak because.

It's all weak running bigger than 30", that's been commented on a lot.

TiRod said:
Yeah, you need the hands.

I just used a hose clamp, flipped it, and tore out all the vac lines. Plan a cable shift later. No axles and works just as good, Takes about 30 minutes vs. hours of tearing down the complete right side, buying axles, seals, and being down when you need to be going. I've never seen a report on the shift blowing, just comments about how it must be weak because.

It's all weak running bigger than 30", that's been commented on a lot.

do you have a picture of what you did with the hose clamp or can you explain it a little more? did you use that instead of washers, or are you saying you used a hose clamp to somehow use for "hands"? thanks.

Back