• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCU interchange

You should be good with a 87- 91 TCU.

Thanks for the reply.1 question though.I thought 91 was the first year they used the electric tranyy.How would a 87-90 work? I found a 92 for $40.00 vs.the stealership price of $794.00.

Many here have said before that the AW4's TCU computer is the same all the way from 87 to 2002.

If it did change the years it would have changed would 91 (OBD-I introduced) and 96 (OBD-II introduced). Renix was 87-90, not 87-91. So a 91-95 should definately be a match for yours. I am almost possitive the 87 to 95 are a direct swap, with no problems.

I do wonder if the 96-02 TCU years did not have extra OBD-II communications on the TCU that would keep an 87 to 95 from working in a 96-02 Jeep.

The 96 to 02 might work in older 87-95 XJs, but not the other way around. In other words an 87-95 TCU dropped into a 96-02 Jeep might set a check engine light error code because the older TCU would lack OBD-II communications capability, where as a 96-02 TCU might work fine in an older 87-95 XJ.

Now, why do think your TCU is bad????????

scottyrock said:
Thanks for the reply.1 question though.I thought 91 was the first year they used the electric tranyy.How would a 87-90 work? I found a 92 for $40.00 vs.the stealership price of $794.00.

Well I am not 100% sure it is the TCU yet.Here is the deal.Several weeks back the tranny started screwing up.Tranny shop told me solenoids.Replaced them and ran great for a few days.Then it started acting up again.Took it back to the shop and they were sure a rebuild would fix it.Had it rebuit and after I picked it up same issue.I replaced dthe TPS and that didn't help.I took it to a new shop and he seems to think it is either the TCU or bad connection inside the tranny.Keep in mind that after the tranny was pulled and reinstalled it did something to the temp gauge.When you turn the key the needle will fly over to the right but after engine fires the guage dies.The reasin I asked about the other years for the TCU is because I am not giving chrysler $800. I hate taking it to a shop but I have a disability so I can't work on them like I use to.Any suggestions would be awesome.thanks for helping guys.

My email is [email protected]. I have a rare auto-immune disease that like 15,000 people in the U.S. Have. It has caused major damage to the veins in my legs and in my eyes.I could probably read a digital meter.In 2001 I spent 6 straight months in the hospital.Not fun but humbling.Thanks for asking.

If you can still drive you should be able to get to the TCU and use the ohm meter to get data the transmission shop should have checked before they spent all your money rebuilding it twice to fix what wasn't broken ( that's assuming someone else is not driving you in which case you should be able to coach them as to what to do to pull the TCU and test it with a volt/ohm meter). Pulling the TCU and testing it and its wiring is something an 8 year old could do with some simple instructions.

scottyrock said:
My email is [email protected]. I have a rare auto-immune disease that like 15,000 people in the U.S. Have. It has caused major damage to the veins in my legs and in my eyes.I could probably read a digital meter.In 2001 I spent 6 straight months in the hospital.Not fun but humbling.Thanks for asking.

Back