• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Gearing?

metalmulisha68

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 MJ, 2.5L, 4 spd. I am curious as to what the factory gearing is. Did the 4-bangers come with any other gearing than 4.10's? Would I need to change the carrier to go to 4.88's if it has 4.10's?

Dan

metalmulisha68 said:
I have a '91 MJ, 2.5L, 4 spd. I am curious as to what the factory gearing is. Did the 4-bangers come with any other gearing than 4.10's? Would I need to change the carrier to go to 4.88's if it has 4.10's?

Dan

You'll need to take a look at the tags on your rear diff and check (or the stamp on the ring gear if the tags are missing) -- I was sad to see that my 1989, 2.5, 4spd, 2wd MJ has 3.55 gearing in the rear Dturdyfive...

xj-grin said:
You'll need to take a look at the tags on your rear diff and check (or the stamp on the ring gear if the tags are missing) -- I was sad to see that my 1989, 2.5, 4spd, 2wd MJ has 3.55 gearing in the rear Dturdyfive...

I know of 2 others with the same set up & gearing. JIM.

Back