• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washed engine

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday I cleaned the engine in my 87 Wagoneer 4.0 with a auto. I have done this many times in the past with no problems. BUT this time after I had finished and took it for a drive it wouldnt shift outa first. Checked the TPS and sure enuff it had water in it. Replaced it with one I had laying around and got the same problem. Had to drive to work today so I disconnected the Trans Controll Unit and just shifted manually. Works and shifts fine like this. My first questions is how long can you drive like this ( Disconnected TCU) with out doing damage and second if it is not the TPS and all of the other connections are good WTF could it be? Fluid is fine BTW. Thanks all.

I know that Searching is my friend but nothing came up with my first question on damage so I got lazy. Be gentle

:patriot: :patriot:

Well you could drive like this forever, but I dont think that the lockup will work.

maybe from other washes the connector for the NSS has become borderline, and now the 12v feed for the TCU gear select reference (blk/yel yel) has become resistive??
See if you have 12v on the either lt. blue(1-2) or green/tan(OD) wires at the TCU harness while in gear with key on run.. You should likely re-connect the TCU to provide a load on this suspect terminal...

Last edited:
cygnus58 said:
maybe from other washes the connector for the NSS has become borderline, and now the 12v feed for the TCU gear select reference (blk/yel yel) has become resistive??
See if you have 12v on the either lt. blue(1-2) or green/tan(OD) wires at the TCU harness while in gear with key on run.. You should likely re-connect the TCU to provide a load on this suspect terminal...

It checks out good. Any other ideas?:badpc:

1985xjlaredo said:
Well you could drive like this forever, but I dont think that the lockup will work.

So no further ,If any, damage will be done?

Back