• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep idles high randomly!!!

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
like if i start it in the morning it kicks it at like 2200 RPM just revving and it won't go back down to normal after a long period of time sometimes 10 minutes even if i kill it and start it back up itll do it then other times it won't is random and very annoying. anybody guess whats wrong?i had vacuum lines in a resorvoir in my front bumper but i ripped it out, straight connected the small plastic hoses and then plugged the big thick one, think that made a difference to it?

IACV or TPS?

Idle Air Control Valve or Throttle Position Sensor...both sit on your throttle body.....

Just read your original post again, and yeah, you need that vacuum res thats behind your front bumper....you took it out of the loop completely???

Thats your problem there....

I had the same problem on my 88. I would start it up and then it would consistently idle high for quite sometime. Very scary though because it would accelerate on its on to about 45 mph on the road without me touching the gas pedal. Don't let yours get to that point. I replaced the TPS and IAC and pretty much corrected the problem.

I would try to clean the IACV first. I have personaaly seen a couple that hang up and work fine after they get a good cleaning

If you have a vacuum problem you should fix that first. Vacuum screws up idle. If it's still bad then you can attack the IAC. Also make sure there isn't something physically causing the throttle plate to stay open. On one of my old Heeps, I had problems successively with both the gas pedal pivot and the bell crank on the engine that caused intermittent high idle. My 95 is doing it occasionally now owing to a bad cable.

My 96 was doing it and it had me worried. Turns out the cable return spring was too weak (from holding it wide open:D) Added a cheapo spring, from the 'HELP' section to it, now 2 springs. No more problems :thumbup:

Back