• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 question

xtremebronco.com

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! i am a newbie to the jeep xj's so please bare with me.

i have 2 problems i am trying to solve on my 87 wagoneer limited with the 4.0

first fuel pump relay.
when i turn the key on the fuel pump kicks on. jeep wont start. turn key off and back on and fuel pump will not kick on. i have to pull the key out of the switch and put it back in to get the pump to kick on. repete 3 times to get it to start.
is that normal for the fuel pump or should it fire up every time the switch is turned on like every ford i have owned does?
also i found what relay is the fuel pumps. replaced. same thing. just for the fun of it, all of the relays next to the fp relay looked the same. moved the one right next to it to the fp spot and now the fp kicks on every time and starts on first crank.

second issue is the electric fan.
i know this has a relay as well and still have to try to replace it but i hate just replacing parts just cause.
Fan will not kick on, engine while at op temp is a solid 220. i riged it to the battery to test the fan and it is fine. what controls the on/off of the fan? is it the main temp sensor?
Also where is it located at?
I really need to get a book for this thing, its nothing like a ford and thats all i know.
thanks for any help!

I think the fan is controlled by the ecm.....The sensor is located on the drivers side of the radiator.Check the connection there or replace the sensor,or the relay is bad..Does the fan come on when you select A/C??

There is a temperature switch in the drivers side of the radiator just above (or between) the tranny fluid lines that run to the radiator. It has two wires on it. It controls a relay to the electric fan. I think the relay is on the forward drivers side fender.

Short out the wire connector to the temperature switch, if the electric fan comes on the temp switch is definately bad. You can also ohm the temp switch when it is hot enough to turn on, which is about 195 F. If shorting the connector does not turn it on then its got to be the relay.

87 thru 90 had a temperature switch in the radiator that directly controlled the electric fan though the same relay that the AC selector switch uses to turn on the electric fan any time the AC or defrost is selected.

Chrysler turned over the electric fan control to the ECU/PCM in 91 and the following years. They eliminated the radiator mounted temperature switch in 91, and the ECU/PCM used data from temperature sensor in the thermostat housing starting in 91 to control the electric fan through a relay.

outlander said:
I think the fan is controlled by the ecm.....The sensor is located on the drivers side of the radiator.Check the connection there or replace the sensor,or the relay is bad..Does the fan come on when you select A/C??

Back