• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ever had Leafs rebuilt?

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
One of my RE 1462 rear leafs has a bent main leaf. The jeep sits level but drives like shit as the rear leans bad to that side on corners. The bushings are shot in both springs as well. We have a local spring company that has a great reputation, I though about having them redo both packs and installing new bushings. Any thoughts on this? Should I give them a chance or should I just order some new springs from DPG? I am sure Option A is much cheaper. Thanks for any insight.

TIA
Clark

mudslinger4x4 said:
I would just order a new set of bushings and a leaf spring. i'd just the manufacturer with this problem rather than a company to do stuff like that.

I am afraid to get just one spring, these are several years old. I figured I could maybe get that main fixed or replaced and both packs re-arched. But the more I think about it the less sure I am.

This place actually makes leaf packs on site, they have been around since the 40s. Had them do some spring work on one of our trucks at work and was happy with the results.

How about getting another set of used springs? I am looking to get rid of a set of RE 4.5" springs (1462s) and HD 1.25" shackles that are about a year old and are in very good condition :D PM if interested.

AARON

I have a buddy whose RE pack died on him after a couple of years. He went to a local spring shop and found out a leaf from each pack cracked. He had them re-arch the pack and add a replacement leaf. That XJ is only a trail rig now so those leafs lasted another two or three years but only off-road. Now the Jeep is probably an inch or so lower on the right than the left. This time he is going to get new springs as the old ones he has have been on his XJ 6 years and aren't worth trying to re-arch again. For part of those years he has had a 4:1 transfercase which is adding more leverage to wearing out the springs.

For me I would get a quote from the local spring shop and make a decision from there. If the spring shop is low enough I would chance it. If it is half the cost of a new pack I would skip it. Another option is to hit the junkyard and piece your pack back together.

If you get a new set I would try selling your old set to someone that is building their own.

It cost me 70 bucks to have them re-arched that was about 5 months ago, and they still sit pretty high...if it only lasts another 7 months or so, I feel I will get my money's worth out of them....

Justin

Well I called them today and got some prices. He said they should be able to repair my spring for about $60 and if they had to make a new main leaf it would be $100. So I pulled them off the jeep this evening and am going to take them in tommorow. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

I don't know what they will charge to install the bushings(already got from RE) but I am sure it will be worth it lol.

Took them in today and they were supposed to be done this evening. They called me about two hours later with some news. He said the springs had gone soft and lost the heat treating which is why my one main leaf had bent. Surprisingly its no extra charge to have the heat treat re done on them. So after a re-arch and heat treating they should be ready tuesday. I am curious to see how this turns out.

Well got them put on today, seem to be OK sofar. Only problem is it sits 3/4" higher on the drivers side. Other than that it rides good, sits about 2" total taller than before. It did need the 2" when it was hard loaded for the trail so that is good. Tommorow I am going to swap them side to side so the taller one is on the passenger side for engine torque etc.

Ended up $139 after tax. Curious to see how they hold up.

Not that anyoen seems to care but I swapped sides with them today. Its great! Ride real good and sits just a tad high but will be perfect when loaded for the trail. Well worth the $140.

thats great..so you put the sides on wrong then. so now i know what to do if i ever do mine.. So how is the ride now that you did the switch?

It rides good, its not near as spongy as it was before. Need to get the slip replaced on my Front DS because I am ready to do some wheeling :D.

Back