• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will somebody please measure their XJ???

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna run up to Colorado this weekend and drag that pig of a Jeep back for service over the winter. I have a bumper pull 14" trailer with an inside width of just over 5' 9" (69"). Will my XJ fit, if it has 3.5" backspacing on the rims??

How wide is the XJ at the front fender flares?? I don't think my tires stick out further than that.

Anybody in Texas got a bigger trailer I can borrow??

Thanks,

R

Last edited:
If it doesnt, put 4 of the little donut spares on there, they are cheap in the yards. Unless you have realy large meats on there you should be able to put them in the back of the XJ to haul them.

Personally, I would opt for a tow dolly. They tow a lot better.

Yeah, but one of the big reasons I'm bringing it back to Houston for service is the rear differential. I don't want to get halfway between Amarillo and Wichita Falls to figure out that I should have flat towed the truck.

I don't want to tow dolly it backwards because the steering gearbox is popping and on it's last legs too.

While we are at it:

Transfer case rear output seal leaking
Engine overheating (Unknown cause, probably a new exhaust system)
Fuel tank leaking from trail repair (Replace with Aerotank)
Rear Differential is making noise (ARB needs water condensation cleaned out)
Steering gearbox was ripped off frame, trail repairs are now popping and flexing (new gearbox)
A/C out of refrigerant (Replace low pressure hose)

That's about it. The Jeep is in rough shape right now, but I've been beating the piss out of it for going on two years now, doing nothing more than trail repairs. It's time for some loving care over the winter, and it'll be ready for another two years of Colorado wheelin'.

A side note; it is strange for me to hear you are going to work on it during the winter so you can drive it in the summer. Down here in AZ we work on it in the summer so we can drive all winter:wave:

Bad news:
xj_front.jpg

From http://yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

Is that an enclosed trailer? If so...how ya getting out? Through the back hatch? :D

Jim www.yuccaman.com

No, it's just a utility trailer. Kinda like a flat bed, with a railing around the sides and front. I think the Jeep is high enough I can still open the doors over the railing. I hope.

But, from the measurements in your picture, it won't fit. Period. the stock XJ is an inch too wide, and mine is probably 4-5 inches wider than stock due to the tires.

I'm thinking a rental, unless somebody from Texas wants to pony up a wider trailer.

R

Back