• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-gearing and tire size

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
okay i will probably end up getting 30's and i was wondering since my tires are 225's then when i put my 30's on what do i need to do so my speedometer is correct? i kno that when you put llarger tires on you go faster or slower then it says. well i dont want this to happen. so do i need to regear my transfer case? or axels or what do i need to do so my speedometer is right and my tranny shifts correctly?

i went from 225's to 32's and there's def a difference, but not that much. all i did was have someone go the speed limit and pull up right beside them to find out how much mine was off. you just have to adjust your speedometer if it bothers you that much. goin from 225's to 30's your speedo will prolly only be like 3 mph off if that

so my tranny should shift right even though i have larger tires? i searched google yahoo pirate4x4 and naxja but i found nothing that can help me.

what're you talking about with your transmission? Are you worried about putting extra stress on it?

yea my freind moved from 235's to 32's in his blazer s10 and it cause the tranny to go out. and ive herd of it in other vehicles. and putting 30's on do i need to re-gear my axles? should i move to 4.10 gears? if so how much will that cost?

Last edited:
4.10s are great for 30s and 31s but you don't HAVE to regear. if you have the towing package with 3.73s in it your golden. As for your friend i doubt adding a little over two inches of tire caused the tranny to go out. It may have been a small factor but hey its a chevy what do you expect.

okay thanks and yes i do beleive it has a towing package. it has the hitch and pulls my grandparents 20ft boat no prob.. so then if i get the different speedo tooth then my speed should be correct. and then thats it?

89heepxj said:
okay thanks and yes i do beleive it has a towing package. it has the hitch and pulls my grandparents 20ft boat no prob.. so then if i get the different speedo tooth then my speed should be correct. and then thats it?

32s are tiny bro. You won't have any issues with them. Just grab a speedo gear from NAPA and git-r-done, son! ;)

Original poster - 30s on an XJ with the 4.0L and AW-4 is probably going to put your speedometer at accurate. Yeah, that's right - larger tires will show you at a lower indicated speed, and it's probably going to be correct. Been there, clocked it numeroud times.

Do you need to regear with 30s? No, but that is the largest tire I'd recommend running on stock gears. Regear after anything larger, especially for the poster who says 32s are 'tiny' - 32s and 3.55 stock gears will work, but thaey add considerable heat into the tranny and it will downshift any chance it gets. I really don't see where the 32" discussion even came from, but I'd strongly recommend 4.56 with those tires behind a 4.0L auto or even manual.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back