• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok well got the gauge cluster in yesterday swapped it in today.

easy part done went under the hood to get the 2 sensors and replace them, well...

got the one by the oil filter no problem came right off the other one is the problem.

i put the socket on it and was gentle but guess not gentle enough, snapped it off.

i can see little metal wire looking things from what is left in the block good or bad to leave as is???

another thing, how do i get it out or put a new one in or what.

do they sell a gauge that will tell me that temp and taps in somewhere else. not really wanting to drill into my block here.

please help

stxcherokee said:
sorry, i believe it is the coolant temp sensor the one close to the firewall by the valve cover

it's a 95 xj 4x4

Well if I remember correctly that is a solid sensor so nothing should leak, Its going to be hard to get at with a drill and easy out, Does your model have the sensor in the thermostat housing as well? If not yu could get one of the T-stat housings from a model that has the sensor there and use that opening and re-wire the sensor. My 96 has the temp sensor fitting in the T-stat housing if that helps

xjtrailrider said:
Well if I remember correctly that is a solid sensor so nothing should leak, Its going to be hard to get at with a drill and easy out, Does your model have the sensor in the thermostat housing as well? If not yu could get one of the T-stat housings from a model that has the sensor there and use that opening and re-wire the sensor. My 96 has the temp sensor fitting in the T-stat housing if that helps
Unfortunately the 95 has both already. The T-stat sensor is for the computer. Later models use one sensor and take the gauge signal from the computer.

it seems to tight to get anything there.

my question, it's fine staying there i'm sure just broke off the top, threads and all still inside so still sealed.

can i run my temp guage off of the thermostat for the comp, or tap in somewhere to get that gauge working,

or do they make an aftermarket one so i know how hot she's running??

Matthew Currie said:
Unfortunately the 95 has both already. The T-stat sensor is for the computer. Later models use one sensor and take the gauge signal from the computer.

I was afriad of that, I think OBD1/2 both used both. You may have to support the motor on a jack and remove the motor mounts and brackets in order to allow the engine to drop far enough down and forward to allow clearance to drill/easy out the sensor.

Good luck

stxcherokee said:
it seems to tight to get anything there.

my question, it's fine staying there i'm sure just broke off the top, threads and all still inside so still sealed.

can i run my temp guage off of the thermostat for the comp, or tap in somewhere to get that gauge working,

or do they make an aftermarket one so i know how hot she's running??

I missed this post, if it doesn't leak when the engine is hot you can drive it you will not have a temp gauge but the computer will shut the engine down if it gets too hot.

There is a pipe plug on the drivers side of the block just below the exhaust manifold, the older model XJ's(87-90 RENIX) have a temp sensor(CTS) there for the computer. You could use that but you will have to drain almost all of the coolant out, you will have to use pipe adapters to get it down to 1/8 npt to fit the sensor and then rewire to the existing wireing.

When you try to remove it a Hot engine helps in removing the item unless you will be burned I had the radiator cap off my 96 ran it for 10 minutes and the sensor came out smooth. Good luck try the reverse drills in my opinion a better option or you may be able to get a left handed thread bolt and thread it into the wire hole.

so can i drive her or not?? what good would it do to take it to a mechanic and have them replace the sensor for me.. ??? don't wanna drill it out, don't have a jack to lift it up and then drill it,...

needless to say i don't want it to fall into the engine. what harm will it do to just stay broken off in the spot its at?

start it an let it run for awhile, lets say 20 min. Then shut it down for like 15min, then see if it is going to leak, if it doesn't leak then you can drive it to a mechanic...it didn't over heat before right?

yep never overheated before. i ran it for a bit to see if anything happened last night, nada.. she should be fine to goto a mechanic.

we'll see what happens this afternoon after class

ok so to sum all of this up.... if i leave it as is, it should stay put and i just won't have a temp gauge but since i have the other sensor the computer will shut her off... so am i good to drive it or not??? i wheel in mud and sand bout 3x a week.

had dummy lights before, so really never had a guage, i'm sure i can tell when the engine is overheating as i could when the light was there before, it's a no brainer.

so to sum it up, can i drive it as is?? or get it looked at?

Back