• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep Guy.... Newb ?

LilXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I am new to moddin XJs for crawlin, I've got an 89 w/ 4.0I6, Aw4, and a 242. I'm planning on throwin a FWHPD44, 9", 4Link front, Rear Leaf (for now) and 36" somethings ( haven't decide on tires yet). my question is, I'm not sure how much I like this 242.... nice lo range and all, but my last rig I like the ability to twin stick and gear. I'm about 50% sure you can do this with a 231 (am I right?) and the parts availability is much better than for a 242. so.... will a 231 just bolt into the back of my aw4 or am I gonna have to do some "adapterin" and/or tranny putput shaft changin.... I searched with confusin reseults and many opinions. Also, doubler options..... any?? I LOVE to go REAL slow :patriot: . I've been around wheelin for a while, but never had a jeep (ford guy) so I've got a lot to learn, and I hope I put this in the right forum. Thanks again.

B

you should be able to just drop the 242 and put on the 231. i have a 242 in mine and you're right, there aren't many parts for it. the only thing that's different is that there's no 4 hi full time in the 231. you'll have to get a new cover for the interior if you care about shit like that, but onther than that the gearing should be the only thing different.

mudslinger4x4 said:
you should be able to just drop the 242 and put on the 231. i have a 242 in mine and you're right, there aren't many parts for it. the only thing that's different is that there's no 4 hi full time in the 231. you'll have to get a new cover for the interior if you care about shit like that, but onther than that the gearing should be the only thing different.

thanks for the info..... now, am I right in my thinkin that the 231's can be twin-sticked?? also, its not a daily, so I'm not too worried about fulltime.

B

91 Jeep Project said:
Just flip a 300

k, my shallow pool of knowledge tells me that I would need an adapter to run a 300 behind the aw4 correct?? and also, is the 300 a pass. drop case?? I thought it was a drivers, so I wouldn't have to flip it b/c of the drivers drop HPD44 that is doin in under the XJ?? sorry for the ignorance, learn a new species.

B

the 231 will bolt right in there, provided your spline count match. you may have to make driveshaft accomodation.(i can't remember for sure but i think the 242 is slightly longer). It CANNOT be twinsticked. you can get lower gears for it but it's a huge amount of money.

the setup you are just begging to have is a 231/ flipped 300 doubler with twin sticks on the 300.

there are a couple kits to do this but at my last looking, box4rocks was the best/cheapest kit.

if you have access to a machine shop and are willing to send parts out to be treated you can do it youself. but it WONT be cheaper. believe me it WONT be cheaper.

LilXJ89 said:
k, my shallow pool of knowledge tells me that I would need an adapter to run a 300 behind the aw4 correct?? and also, is the 300 a pass. drop case?? I thought it was a drivers, so I wouldn't have to flip it b/c of the drivers drop HPD44 that is doin in under the XJ?? sorry for the ignorance, learn a new species.

B

You do need an adapter, Advance sells it, and the case IS passenger side drop. Honestly after getting the adapter, flipping it, and doing a 4:1; you might as well just get a Stak or Atlas. Well, depending on how much you pay for everything I guess.

Last edited:
LilXJ89 said:
where can I find this box4rocks kit, so I can read, learn, and grow??

google box4rocks. spelled that way. in fact if you use firefox you an just highlight that text there and it'll google it for you. the google search will turn up a pirate thread. that will do you just fine. you can't search at pirate if you aren't a member.

i am going to pay for a membership here because even if you can't go to events you get your money's worth from the website, and the people here don't live for flamewars. not to say it doesn't happen but it's not the central point. i'll be damned if 'll pay for a membership to search at pirate though.

also bear in mind that your 89 is likely 21 spline. the newer ones will be 23 spline. i have never met anyone who broke a 21 spline and didn't have the peugot tranny but i am sure it has happened.

troy6187 said:
you no longer need to be a member to use the search feature on pirate. it has been a nice change.

sweet!!! that is an improvement. i love it when i am wrong about stuff like that.

cumorglas said:
also bear in mind that your 89 is likely 21 spline. the newer ones will be 23 spline. i have never met anyone who broke a 21 spline and didn't have the peugot tranny but i am sure it has happened.

Yup, yours is a 21 spline, so you would need a 21 spline 231 from the same year range. The swap is simple, I did it on a friends XJ.

This is also the case you would need for the box4rocks doubler.

To go to 23 spline you would need to "upgrade" to the newer tranny. If you were just bolting in the D300, there are kits to adapt from 21 to 23 spline, I know Novak Conversions has one.

I agree that by the time you put money and time into all this, not to mention upgrading the 300 to be strong enough, you would likely be better off getting an Atlas or Stak.

Back