• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differance between 98 & 96 4.0L

Datator

NAXJA Forum User
Picked-up 98 4.0L today to replace a 96 with a golf ball size hole where the #6 rod came through. So far everything is converting over well except the 96 head has a sensor that is located on the drivers side directly above the #6 exhaust port and seems to be some kind of temp sensor since it goes into the water jacket. It only has one wire leading to it. The 98 head does not have this sensor nor does it have a hole for one. Any help on what this sensor does would be greatly appreciated. Do i drill and tap the 98 head? Or do i have the 96 head reworked and placed on 98 block? Any other unforseen problems andyone is aware of please let me know, very new to the XJ experience.

Datator said:
Picked-up 98 4.0L today to replace a 96 with a golf ball size hole where the #6 rod came through. So far everything is converting over well except the 96 head has a sensor that is located on the drivers side directly above the #6 exhaust port and seems to be some kind of temp sensor since it goes into the water jacket. It only has one wire leading to it. The 98 head does not have this sensor nor does it have a hole for one. Any help on what this sensor does would be greatly appreciated. Do i drill and tap the 98 head? Or do i have the 96 head reworked and placed on 98 block? Any other unforseen problems andyone is aware of please let me know, very new to the XJ experience.
It is the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge read. You can drill and tap it or you can relocate it somewhere else in a coolant line. I know some have resorted to moving it, thus avoiding drilling the head.

Thanks Renixpower! Drilled and tapped hole today and replace sensor with new one. Hope to get her running by next week. Still have fingers crossed on engine since it was a junk yard motor the good news is the bearings looked great

Back