• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ID this rear end noise

Tim_MN

Freakish Hand Strength
NAXJA Member
I have a new noise in the rear of the XJ that sounds like what I used to hear when my Ford Bronco II and Ranger 4x4 pickup needed new rear u-joints. I replaced both rear drive shaft u-joints and still have the noise. Where do I look next, bearings ? Pinion or axle shafts ? I am somewhat sure it not a lifted Jeep needs an SYE kind of noise or a tire noise.

2000 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 82,000 miles, D35 w/Trac-Lok. 3" lift, 1" Tcase drop.

Starts at about 10 mph and continues to highway speed. I would call sort of a constant droning noise. It does sound like a bad u-joint, but I already replaced them both. I would guess a loud bearing, but I have never had one fail before so I wouldn't recognize the sound.

common for the chryco8.25. Probably pinion bearing? Try some lucas:D

Any different during heavy and light acceleration

pokeyxj said:
Bent or out of balance drive shaft?

It's my Daily Driver, hasn't been off road in a while so damage is a remote possibility.

Dana 35 C clip axle, not a 8.25

The noise just got loud enough to notice so it hasn't been occurring for too long. I work in a machine shop, so noticing any bad sounds or changes in the usual noises is one of the job skills.

my guess would be a carrier bearing. but, drain your fluid and see if there is any metal particales in there. make sure to clean it out well as metal will chew up your ring and pinion faily quick. and if you do end up replacing the bearing, i would just replace all of them. if you want, i *think* i've got a full set of bearing for a 35 (i've got a 44 now) and a pinion seal. i'll sell them to your for cheap, figure out what the dealer wants for them, and then pm me if you want and we can figure something out. let me know.

ps. get some part numbers too for them, i *think* there for a 35 but not sure anymore.

Back