• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't stay running

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Xj sport I6 98k on the ticker. I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, but maybe not or filters but they are in one right?
So it cranks over then dies. Now if I crank over and flutter the gas and keep the RPMs up it's fine and after 5 to 10 min of driving you don’t have to kick it in N and flutter the gas at stop lights and intersections. It’s not pulling any error codes. Battery is fine it turns over with out a problem.

Battery is new, plugs and wires only have 15k on them, rad flush was 10K ago. It's a 98 so they said the filter is in the pump thats in the tank. I haven't had a chance to get the manuel out last night to read up on this and I thought if I posted it up now by the time I get home I might have some good directions for trouble shooting it.

Check your fuel pressure at the rail to see what you have. The littte hose on your fuel pump could have slipped some and not getting you the full amount (pressure) needed. Not sure what yours should be. But on my 89 its around 30psi

Haven't found any leaks yet I'm fallowing and listing for leaks but I had to go drive it for a bit so that it would idle on it's own. haven't checked the pressure yet need to look it up. I don't have anything to test it with.

So at this point it looks like I have to drop the tank to get to the pump then can you clean that out and try it again or is it just best to choke down that 100 bucks or so and replace it?

jdogg4 said:
So at this point it looks like I have to drop the tank to get to the pump then can you clean that out and try it again or is it just best to choke down that 100 bucks or so and replace it?
I'd put a new TPS sensor on it first.

yeah...I've already replaced mine once and it wasn't fun.

Make sure you check everything else first, cause you're gonna hate yourself if you don't.

wouldn't the TPS or an IAC problem toss out an error code?
I'm not getting either. And it takes more than just warming up I have to get out and drive it for 10 to 15 min to get it to idle on it's own. I sat in the driveway for 20 min and couldn't get it to do it on it's own so I took it out for a spin got me an ice cream cone for the dog and I then went back to the house to look/listen for leaks.

lost1 said:
yeah...I've already replaced mine once and it wasn't fun.

Make sure you check everything else first, cause you're gonna hate yourself if you don't.

O for sure I'm going to try everything I can before pulling it.

jdogg4 said:
wouldn't the TPS or an IAC problem toss out an error code?
I'm not getting either.
I know for fact the IAC doesn't always throw codes. My new to me '98 would just die sitting at a light at idle or I'd start it and it'd quit right away. In my case is was sporadic. From the symptoms, I figured it to be the IAC, replaced it and for 2 months now, no more problems.

The FSM lists some tests you can make on both. While I don't consider the test 100% fool proof, it does check for obvious functional issues.

Back