• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mityvac!

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey.

I just got done doing rear brake shoes, and I wanted to do a complete bleed and basically replace the fluid with Valvoline Synpower DOT 4 fluid. After reading up alot on ways to do this, I eventually went to autozone thinking I'd buy lots of vacuum tubing for a complete bleed. But then I ran across the Mityvac... and damn it's cool! I was able to to a complete bleed in about 10 minutes... very nice. It also got me thinking... you could do a bunch of pesky fluid changes (diff fluid, PS fluid) really easily with this tool. Anyway, just posting to say, best 30 ive spent in a long while.

Anyone else got uses for these things?

They're a great tool to have in the box. Like many tools you don't need them often but when you do they're invaluable. I have a tool justification program in my life. I save so much money doing all of the repairs that i reward myself with tools every now and then. Now that I am a 53 year old codger I have quite an arsenal of tools but less motivation to climb under over and through to do the repairs.:doh:

I had the plastic MityVac and it worked great...until I dropped it one cold day. It hit the concrete and snapped the nose off. I got a steel version at Sears and it appears to be much more rugged and tolerant of rough handling.

Ditto. The only prob. I had with the ones I own are that the bottles would collapse along the seam. Solved this when I found a metal can that had the same cap size, can't see in it from the outside but it only takes a sec. to unscrew the cap and look in. Great little tool.

I have a different brand, but same idea. Many old Mercedes have not only vacuum operated vent controls, but vacuum door locks and vacuum engine shutoffs. When I was driving my old 240D, I thought of getting a shoulder holster for mine.

I bought a MitiyVac last winter to use with my Griot's extraction pump.
I've used it once, when replacing brake lines on a
(cough) Bronco. It made bleeding the lines a snap. Very useful tool.

I have two...

The brand name one made of plastic.

And a much better one from Harbor Freight. Same thing just made from brass.

Used mine today to flush the brake system. Good little tool. I used silicon grease around the collection bottle for a better seal.

I have one - don't use it often, but when I need it, it sure does the job. I've used it to clean out power steering reservoirs, transmission pans, and oil. They are great when they are needed. I don't use it for oil any more, as it is just as easy to pull the plug in the pan and drain it versus using the hoses to pull it out through the dipstick tube.

I cheat. I have a electric GAST vacuum pump. I plumbed it through a quart catch bottle. I can flush a complete brake system about as fast as you can go from bleeder to bleeder. All you have to do is have someone keep the master cylinder from running dry.

I cheat. I have a electric GAST vacuum pump. I plumbed it through a quart catch bottle. I can flush a complete brake system about as fast as you can go from bleeder to bleeder. All you have to do is have someone keep the master cylinder from running dry.

Sounds cool Tom. But what else do you use it for? Or did use it for. Those are quality and $$ pumps.

I suck down AC units as well from time to time. I got it in a surplus auction for $5. I was thinking of using it to vacuum marinade the 20 lbs of jerky I am making. I have an old 25 quart pressure cooker. I was going to drill it for a valve and gauge.

Do you have an item number? All I can find is the handheld one ... have done that before and it's painful.

An electronic one will be real nice when I swap axles.

$30 one is the hand operated one.

electric one is $100.

mine works fine. only time it doesn't work is when you have a leak in a line that lets it suck air.

Back