• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy Distributor

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently took my rig on a 100 mile round trip to have my new gears installed and the day after i got home i was tinkering and i noticed a loud ticking under the hood. figured it was the normal 4.0 tick but when i popped the hood it was louder than i've ever heard it. i tracked it to the distributor ( fairly sure, not positive) it changes with rpm's and with my finger on top of the cap i can feel the tick and thats the only place under the hood where i can feel it so i'm pretty sure thats where its coming from. Anybody heard of this before?
I installed a new cap, rotor and new wires just for good measure last night but it still ticks... i did notice that the shaft that spins the rotor was a bit sloppy and could move around. is this normal? I can't seem to track this one down...
Thanks

you think replacing it is the answer? i've tried to read up on this a bit but it seems most of the worn out distributor threads speak of a squeeling, bearing screech. not a constant and consistent ticking like i have. Maybe the gear is messed up on a certain tooth? it is not intermittant and the ticks are all evenly spaced apart (frequency depending on rpm).
Thanks

Replace your dissy before it goes boom. I've had a dizzy break apart, and it wasn't a good thing. It killed my gear, and I had to drop the oil pan and get all of the metal pieces out of it.

BADaXJ said:
you think replacing it is the answer? i've tried to read up on this a bit but it seems most of the worn out distributor threads speak of a squeeling, bearing screech. not a constant and consistent ticking like i have. Maybe the gear is messed up on a certain tooth? it is not intermittant and the ticks are all evenly spaced apart (frequency depending on rpm).
Thanks

The bushings or the housing wear,this lets the rotor contact the cap terminals thus the "tick" .If you run it long enough it will throw a code or just die.
Usually a 15 min job under the best conditions.
Wayne

Back