• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing out tire carrier?

JEFF

NAXJA Forum User
What size spindle is most commonly used for the pivot on swing out tire carriers. Im making my own and I am not sure what size to use, and where do I pick one up at......TSC?

You can findd trailer spindles at about any farm supply store or even at some hardware stores. There really is not a need to put a spindle on your rig from a 1 ton truck unless your thinking about mounting a 44" tire and everything but the kitchen sink on the swing out carrier. If you used a medium duty spindle that was made for something like a light to medium duty trailer that would be plenty. As far as sizes/diameters, I would have to get back with ya on that one b/c I do not have one sitting in front of me.

Awsome guys thanks for the help. I have a snowmobile trailer spindle I just didn't know it it was strong enough or what everyone else uses.

it should be pleanty heavy enough for what your wanting to do. Take build up pics and post them back here for us to se how your coming along with it.

could you just use the swing out off of a wrangler? there's a nice Jeep Junkyard around here that has like 4 of those that I was thinking about using for just this purpose when I build my rear bumper

Correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my knowledge all Wranglers (YJ & TJ) came with their tire carriers mounted to the tailgate, thus making the tailgate the "swing out" carier. Unless you can find one that has an aftermarket swing out carrier, I would not think it would work.

thanks for that help. I thought it was a lower mount. doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort to modify one of those or the bumper to accept one

they are held on by hinges that hold on the tail gate, i just looked it up...that is bad that I had to look it up since I just sold my Wrangler like 4 months ago!!

I used a trailer spindle from TSC on mine, and it has held up fine and is really smooth. IIRC it is 1 1/8". They sell the bearings separately

Back