• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crossmember upgrade?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ with no skid plates and a 4.5 inch Rough Country lift. My crossmember had one stud snap off. I want to upgrade it before going off-road and want to fix it before I drive it, any cheap idea's. FYI I do not know how to weld ,I'm taking a class this winter.

Drill and tap a hole through the stud and call it good. With 4.5 inches of lift you won't have very many situations where you will be able to tag the crossmember hard enough to warrant a HD crossmember. Or, get some steel and bring your x-member to a welding shop and have then weld some plate to it to beef it up. Whatever you do, watch out for stumps and Rev's spotting.

Take the thing out wheeling a few times and take it easy. You will know much better what you will want to do to make it more offroad ready.

Yeash one of my studs pulled out. I called myself not over tightening but she pulled right on out anyways... No sure what i can do for that yet... I need to do something tho. Whats more likely to strip the nut or the stud? I would be nice if the stud striped... I assume i can drill and tap for a bigger bolt no problem.

I managed to strip out the nut strip in mine. There was enough material there to drill and tap for a 7/16" bolt.

I agree there is enough material there to drill and tap a new hole if you desire i have done it before.

Back