• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new guages

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have the very simple oversized gas guage a speedometer and 4 lights in my dash. 1 light i am to beleive that nothing is there exept a light. i was wondering if i could easily put a smaller gas guage in the area the blank light is in and put a tachometer in the gas guages spot. i have an automatic but it would still be nice to have a tachometer. and in the spots with the oil like and temp light i could put mechanical guages that i can read. is this possible? or would it take more work then it is worth? and would it cost much?

find you some stock guages that are like that. I have a 95 xj 4x4 and just ordered me a stock gauge set that includes that all. I believe in the FAQ you can find a guage swap write up it will tell you the how to. It's as simple as plug it in and go, and replacing 2 sensors.

X2....you can get a gauge cluster set on eBay or like places for under $50 and it takes less then an hour to do the swap. Keep an eye on the F/S forum on here as well, there are some of those clusters that float through every so often. You could also post up on the wanted forum too.

WHy don't you just buy one of those 12" diameter tachs with a "Change gears already you dumb mutha f-er" lights and screw it to tha dash!? That way you don't shift late.

Edit: My bad its an auto!

I would consider the "looks good" vs "works good" angle too. The factory guages look good, its a good install, but I dont know that I trust the accuracy of the data. A tach is cool, but I havent decided how important the data is to driving an auto.

Install VDO guages and I trust the data. Put a marker to the fuel gauge and I like the accuracy of the expanded scale readout to measure the remaining fuel (given a level surface). Empty the tank, add fuel a gallon at a time and mark the guage and you have a pretty good measure. Add four VDOs to the pods left and right of the factory panel (oil temp/press, water temp, trans temp) and you have good data.

I dont think that these will hook up to your renix system correctly. The 91 on up models are the HO motors (non-renix) and I believe that they changed in 91 or there abouts. I have a full gauge cluster like what your looking for that is out of a renix era XJ. I dont remember what year it is out of, but I have it installed in my 90 XJ that was my trail rig. I am dismantling it now to start on my next build and wont need it. I am not sure what "pig tail" the speedo cable would need, but I did not hook it up since it was just a trail rig. All the gauges work in it and I have the needed oil and temp sensors that it requires as well. If your interested shoot me a PM.

that one on eBay will not work on your 89. Your 89 has a mechnical speedometer and the one on eBay has the electric controler. Look at the back of the cluster that is pictured on eBay and you will see what I am talking about. Hope this helps ya!

yup, they sure will, but remember that you will need to get the sending units for the temp and oil pressure.

Back