• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help bad (oil pan removal

slingblade

NAXJA Forum User
Gents I am doing the rear main on my 88 4.0 and can not get the oil pan off. i' tried for almost 3 hours and only got about a 4 inch section loose any tips for getting this thing off would help alot. thanx in advance.

slingblade said:
Gents I am doing the rear main on my 88 4.0 and can not get the oil pan off. i' tried for almost 3 hours and only got about a 4 inch section loose any tips for getting this thing off would help alot. thanx in advance.

Small pry bar and/or flat head screwdriver. When you pry, lift the bar up pushing pan down so you don't damage inside of top surface. You likely won't hurt anything. But if you do, the pan is the cheaper of the two.

take a heavy duty utility knife with a new razor and cut into the seam all the way around as much as you can. just go slow and DONT beat on it with a hammer. Its tough as hell to make it line up again after you beat it out of shape. also a heat gun around the old seal will help soften it up a bit to help the razor cut. Dont want to insult your intelligence, but make sure you retorq the bearing caps down properly. i believe it is 80# foot.

Back