• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC conversion to Air compressor?????

Randy Curran

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and found nothing. I've tried every combination of words I could think of.

Since I just took out my condensor(it was toast) and the air hasn't worked since I owned it, I thought I should convert my AC to on board air! So how the hell do I do it and how can I do it cheap? Thanks!

Basically you need to re-plumb the intake & output fittings on the compressor (IIRC hydraulic line fittings necked down to NPT hose barbs)

I put a cheap fuel-filter on as an intake filter... others have used an air-tool inine oiler.

The pressure side runs into a above-ground well pressure switch (mine is on @ 85psi, off @ 105psi IIRC) about $25 at the local hardware. Wire the compressor to the switch using 12vDC instead of 120vAC. You can wire a relay & toggle switch in-line between the battery and the switch, or use the lever on the pressure switch.

I ran a hose from the pressure switch to a 10 gallon air tank back in the cabin.

Mine worked good, but generated a LOT of heat. Enough heat to pop common cheap nylon air hose between the AC pump & the switch. I dunno if my pump is semi-fried, or what, so I kinda let it go at that. While the hose lasted, it worked fine. ;)

I have not done this yet, but have researched it alot. It seems if you run the air coming out through copper tube infront of the radiator with several bends (back and forth) it will cool the air and then you should be able to run it into normal air hose without as much chance of blowout of the hose.
Make sure to oil the compressor regularly if you don't use an inline oiler.

nope.....lots heat is normal. part of physics.....pesky thing that physics. when you compress something (like air) it creates heat. and when you let it expand again it absorbs heat. that's why spray cans get cold when you spray them. anyhow, that's pretty much the basics. it's best if you have a compressor that has it's own crankcase and oil resevoir. i have a york, and i believe sadens work the same way. most modern compressors don't work that way, they have oil in the refridgerant. so they might burn up after a while. i've also got a load genie (one piece oneway valve and unloader) an intake air filter, a filter after the compressor, and i need an oil and water seporator. i'm also thinking about running it through a condensor to cool it down a bit. if you have any questions or want pics let me know. i also have bookmarks to several other writeups i read before i did mine
stu

Back