• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shift cable routing

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing an AW4 swap in my sons 1990 comanche.

Where does the shift cable get routed for an AW4? Started to install it and it seems a lot longer than it should be. At what point does it enter the cab?

I did an AW4 swap on my 89 MJ as well. I was impressed with how long that dang cable was. Almost 7' as I recall. I routes up behind the dash and comes out into the engine bay above where the clutch pedal poked through. I think there was a rubber plug in there for it already.

For comparison, I took a look at the shift cable on my 93 ZJ and it's about 3' long and pentrates at the top of the hump up close to the firewall. I wonder if the later XJs used a shorter, more sensibly routed cable as well?

Yup, just got done installing it. I actually ran it through the clutch master hole. There was another plug next to it but it was a pain to get at it. Seems to work fine.

Back