• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn not working

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee; country;4.0 litre auto.RHD

The horn does not work.
I checked the horn with a lead form the battery and it works.
Fuse no.21 looks ok.
Would the next place be to check the relay ?
where would i find this?

I looked at the compartment near the foot area on the RHS and found the fuse box.There are 3 relays:
no1 is empty and then there is 3 relays vertically ?.
Which one would be the horn relay ?

What procedure should i follow to test this relay and make the horn work ?

thanks in advance.

regards
collin

Try this:

DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL.

remove the airbag/horn pressure switch assy. Two 10mm hex head screws hold it to the steering wheel from behind at the lower left and lower right. UNPLUG THE AIRBAG. RECONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. unplug the black lead with a spade terminal, and contact the wire coming from the clockspring to a metal area of the steering column or wheel. If this doesn't sound the horn, bad relay or circuit. Replace the relay; if that doesn't work, check for continuity with a continuity tester. If there is no continuity, try replacing the clockspring. if contacting the wire does work, bad pressure switch, it is replaced with the airbag.

Remember, if you can't or don't want replace parts, you could always just hard-wire it with a pressure button mounted into the dash.

Joe

Last edited:
Back