• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bilstein 5150's.....

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
im runnin a 4 1/4" lift and im purchasing 5150's for the front... im wondering which size travel should i buy, im thinkin either 10" or 11.5" travel sound right?!also with 170/60 valving....

Keep in mind you will have to get the upper adapters, this will affect your measurements. The JKS adapters add just over an inch (compress the shock 1 inch). From what I've read here the Bilsteins really don't like being bottomed out when you are at full compression on the suspension.

I just installed 10" 5150's on my Jeep, I'm sitting at almost 5 inches in front. I added another puck to limit my uptravel so I wouldn't hammer my shocks, so far so good.

edit: The difference these things made on and off road with the ride was tremendous. Feels firmer and more in control if that makes any sense.

icon4.gif
:D

unbolt your current shocks, flex out your suspension, and using a tape measure, measure how long of a shock you needed. Take the compressed length and the extended length and find a shock that fits both of those

thanks 4 the help....ill get the 10"!

rufus_1111 said:
Jeepsloth said:
Keep in mind you will have to get the upper adapters, this will affect your measurements. The JKS adapters add just over an inch (compress the shock 1 inch). From what I've read here the Bilsteins really don't like being bottomed out when you are at full compression on the suspension.

get these.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=30577

Or you can do what I did and get a pair of M12X1 nuts and weld a 3/8" bolt to them and BOOM!!!!!!! instant shock adapter.

For what it's worth....I have an RE 5.5 long arm and I had 5150's front and rear. Rubicon sent me 10's and even with the top post adaptors and bottom Bar pin eliminators they were too short.
I gained at least two inches with that combo and twelves would have still been nice. I sold the fronts and bought a set of 12" Fox 2.0 with the remote res. They stretch out at 32" as apposed to 25" and some change

Last edited:
I also went with the 12" travel 5150s in the front and bumpstop accordly for compression, love the droop travel though.

rufus_1111 said:
Jeepsloth said:

get these.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=30577

I am using the Bilstien adaptors on the top and JKS BPE on the bottom. I have the 255/70 valving. A bit firm for those with a sensetive butt, but the handling is OOOOOOOOOOh so good especially when negotiating those highway interchange.

Back